1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem Purchase Put Right

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by nesta, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

After much lamenting the crappy imported cob purchased yesterday, I decided to take a few bucks and go to the nearest carry out to pick up a sixer...

It's a smoke shop, too, though they carry little in the way of pipe gear. Cleaners, a few OTC blends...but I figured I'd take a look....and what do they have? Good old Missouri Meerschaum! Partial display of bent "Legend" pipes.

And guess what? I didn't even have to go without beer. For 5.53 I picked up an authentic MM cob and a 40 of swill (yeah, swill....but I'm broke and just want to relax today). Without even having smoked it I can tell this pipe is of supremely better construction than the one I got yesterday. And the sad part is what I bought yesterday (simply a pipe, no beer) cost me a few cents more than what I bought today...

SO....I've got what I expect to be a QUALITY cob now. Is there anything I should prepare for or expect or otherwise know about the early stages of a cob's life before I fill her up with some PA and go to the porch?

I haven't even smoked it yet, and just holding it and looking at it I know this was a good purchase...

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

Corn-gratulations!

3. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Sales Account

Let us know how it goes, after reading your last thread I fired of an email to MM this morning checking shipping to Scotland.
    Jordan

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

wider bowl, sturdier bottom, denser cob, everything about this is already better. I'm gonna go fire it up :groucho:

Oh, and I heard from my other thread that cobs can taste funny for the first couple of smokes. This one is filtered, but I don't plan on keeping it that way. but will leaving the filter in for the first few smokes be of benefit? Never smoked a filtered pipe before.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Save yourself the trouble and pull out the filter now.

They absorb a little moisture, which in a cob shouldn't be present anyhow, and generally obstruct airflow (imho).

Cobs taste... well, a little corny. Same as Jack Daniel does. It's all right.

6. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Sales Account

I tend to want to pour coke into my jack will I get the same sensation smoking a Cob? :crazysmile:

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

JD is nasty stuff :)

This cob isn't. And both smokes and tastes far better than the last one. If this is as bad as it gets, I can't wait for a few smokes from now when it tastes better

8. qwik

qwik Member

I had a cob attack, placed order with MM Direct-> Country Gentleman, Diplomat, Eaton and couple freehand bits. Marilyn said should have Monday :flowers: The simplest things makes me happy :eek:hyeah:

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

If this gets better over the next few smokes I'll probably be an enthusiastic convert. The neighbors will surely laugh at me this summer as I have a cob in my gob while I push the mower :idiot:

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

The 0nly "problem" you might have is the shank protruding into the bowl...it can give a woody taste until it burns clear. I solve that by using the dremel to cut away the extra shank material. You can also use a sharp pocket knife...carefully.

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

The problem was yesterday's purchase...a really poorly made cob.

Yes, the stem protrudes into the bowl. I'll let it stay that way, I don't want to mess up the pipe trying to remove that part

12. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Good thinking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.