1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

problem with a meerschaum

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by upinsmoke, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I ordered a carved to order meer from altinok. When it arrived, it was unsmokeable because the shank was made from two threaded pieces which would not permit the passage of a pipecleaner. I did not discover this until I had smoked half a bowl. Also the carving of a Sultan was not even close to the carving pictured (ME-102) on their site. It had obviously been carved by a beginner or apprentice. I am trying to return it. The dispute is in the hands of Paypal.

2. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

any chance of some pics so we can "see" the problem ?

3. krusty

krusty Active Member

Have you contacted Sinan?
    He's been over the top responsive in the past, has a good customer satisfaction track record. I'd think he'd make every effort to see you done right.

4. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get everything resolved to you're satisfaction.

5. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

This shows the shank in sections.[​IMG] Sinan is very gentlemanly, but he sold me a pipe I can't smoke. He is the person I have been dealing with. Paypal just denied the claim. Congratulations Sinan, you won, no hard feelings.

6. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

hmm is it possible that you can only pass a cleaner while the pieces are seperated ? Maybe that threaded piece that we see needs to be opened up more?

7. Sniper

Sniper Member

My Sevket pipe (not from Altinok) uses the same threaded teflon connectors and I admit that they don't allow pipe cleaners to pass easily. Fortunately I have some Ashton pipe cleaners from England (having a smaller calibre) and they could pass with some rotation and gentle manipulation. Some carvers in Turkey use this connectors as well and such pipes are definitely smokable. One more thing, these connectors have tapered holes at both ends of each connector, you can actually use a wire cutter or a nipper to enlarge the hole without harming the thread. I have not done this since my pipe cleaners could pass.

8. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Thanks for your suggestions, the pipe is a damned nuisance and I will sell it (or carve something good out of it). This is the end of ordering pipes overseas.

9. el guero

el guero Member

You can also hand turn a drill bit to open up the airway just increase in steps until you reach the size you want, and be careful to not take away to much.

kb7get likes this.
  10. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

I find it funny that pipe makers will use something like that knowing that we like pipe cleaners.

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The pipe extensions are decorative and often problematic with respect to pipe cleaners. That's the way they're made. I avoid those extensions for the very reason you cited, but the pipe is what it is. It's extremely rare to find a meerschaum pipe with a shank that long that is NOT made from separate pieces.

No offense intended, but Paypal was correct to deny your claim. It's best to know what you're buying before you order. If you need help, I'm happy to help out.

Now... is it possible to connect the stem directly to the (short) shank and skip the connectors? Some of these work this way and some don't. This should solve the pipe cleaner problem.

FlatbushPaul and jpberg like this.
  12. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Does a cleaner pass each piece separetly? If so, I don't see why it is unsmokeable. I can understand that you might like to pass a cleaner through while smoking it but if you can clean it when you are finished smoking, it should be fine. Meers don't usually gather enough condensation to render it unsmokeable while you are smoking it. They are very absorbent. Cleaning the shank should only be done while it is cooled off anyways.

Just my $.02.
    Good luck,
    Paul

jpberg and dmkerr like this.
  13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

And any gurgle can easily be blown back into the bowl. Very rare are the occasions that I need to stick a pipe cleaner through my pipe while I'm smoking it.

I had picked up over 1000 fluffy pipe cleaners at a garage sale back in 2009, shortly before I went 99% meerschaum. Today I have 985 left.

Now the wire cleaners, that's another story. ;)

14. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Believe me when I tell you that Sinan does not feel like he won anything, he lost a customer that likely would have bought several more pipes from him and provided free advertisement in the process. He is a member of this forum and several others. I can tell you he would like to resolve the transaction within reason. Another member here, received a second pipe from Altinok due to a carving issue. If you have an issue with the carving then you should take a picture and send it to him.
    I hope it all works out for you,

Paul

dmkerr and jpberg like this.
  15. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Thanks to all of you for your concern. I do not smoke pipes with water (so called tobacco juice) in them. The taste is unacceptable to me. I routinely use 2 pipecleaners on both ends during a smoke. Having to disassemble the stem to clean a pipe makes it unsmokeable as far as I am concerned. Why bother? It is supposed to be relaxing to smoke a pipe, not a janitorial chore. I have many other pipes to choose from, so I will not smoke this one again. By the way I have quite a few similar pipes, all by much better carvers, that smoke acceptably, so it is not Turkish meerschaums that are at fault, but this particular pipe. You are right, Sinan lost a potentially very good customer. I got this pipe to see how close the special order carvings were to the illustrations on the Altinok site. I wanted to buy an $800+ carving, which was the best meerschaum of this type I have seen, and is listed on their site. I tried to order it, but he told me it had been sold and he would have another made just like it. I ordered this pipe to see how much "just like it" was really just like it. It wasn't at all. In fact it was either made by someone else, or the carver was just going through the motions. Even the facial type was different. I collect pipes carved into the shape of older men with beards. That is because I am one of them. As a result of this experience that collecting is now terminated. Not only Altinok, but all the other vendors in this field lost a good customer. I believe that if the wolf eats one of your children you have to be a fool to invite him into your camp. I have no personal animosity towards Sinan. he did what he thought was right for his business. I had a small retail store too, once, and I do understand his decision. But when I had what I knew would be a good customer, it made good business sense to pamper him with little gifts, special services, and even taking returns for full credit on merchandise that I could not resell as new. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.