1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with meerschaum lined briar

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dhintonca, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

Hi group: I've an inexpensive (and old) meer lined briar with the only marking "Italy" on the shank.

[​IMG]

The stem has 2 very small holes in place of a slot, and the tenon opening isn't great. In fact, I can only get a very thin pipe cleaner through the lip end and even a tapered pc won't go right through.

It's not a bad smoker, but I'm wondering if it's possible/practical to open up the tip a bit?
    Thoughts appreciated!

2. DerbyGrandpa

DerbyGrandpa Member

Why not, since you don't have a lot invested in it?

3. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

I guess part of the problem is that I've no idea how to do such a thing! :)

4. DerbyGrandpa

DerbyGrandpa Member

Have a professional do it for you. There are still a handful who work on pipes for a living.

5. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

I thought of that - I'll have to see if there's anyone in town, as sending to the US is a pain! :)

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I've had one or two stems with the same couple of small holes - in lieu of a slot, and hardly able to pass a thin cleaner. It's not really possible to join or open them up with a 'needle' file, and my remedy is - a very small diameter dental burr, in the Dremel. This does of course require care, a steady hand and a little experience, ( I spent my working life as a precision engineer, tools, dies, molds, instruments etc.) and am used to doing such things, but as we often hear - a Dremel can soon cause damage in inexperienced hands.
    Re. shank drillings, I open these a little by hand-turning a drill bit, I have a set of 'number drills' which increase in diameter by just a few thousandths of an inch, so it's relatively easy to increase in small amounts without damage.
    Good luck OT

7. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

Ah, so you're thinking just to enlarge all 3 holes a bit? That sounds quite manageable - I'm not in your league with tools, but I do have a small lathe, dremel, etc. Thanks!

8. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

So today I did a bit of work on this thing -- I discovered the draught hole and the stem hole (pipe end) were under 1/8" -- so I carefully reamed them both out to 1/8" -- at this point it seemed to be drawing very freely so I stopped although I've always been told 3/8 was desirable! I left the button end alone, as 2 holes at 3/16" totals more than 1/8 and it draws fine (empty). Next task (!) is to actually smoke it and see if it's improved any! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.