Problem with Virginia's...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Coda, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I can never seem to keep Virginia's lit. Granted, Ive only tried a limited amount of them, but of the two I currently have on hand (MacBaren Virginia #1, and C&D Virginia Gentleman), I have trouble keeping them lit...especially the Virginia Gentleman. Is it a moisture issue you think? I have some drying currently for a smoke later on...I figure I would try that for the moment.

Any tips?...

2. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Drying should work...The McBarren #1 is much better after aging. beware of the bite if smokef sooner.

3. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Dry it out. Virginias especially like to hold in moisture. Everyone has a different moisture level that they like to smoke at but with Virginias I like mine just above crispy.

4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I dont have much trouble with the #1 Virginia. I dont have much left...I got a sample from a piper on youtube...I like it...I plan on getting some more. I think I am going to start getting more into Virginias/VaPer's...Im curious about Erinmore Flake, and Orlik Golden Slices...

5. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I love Virginias and tend to find they are a bit moist, when packed right they burn slow and long but drying them out definately makes them more lightable. :puffy:

Monkey likes this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I smoke a lot of McClelland Virginia flake tobaccos moist from the tin and find it helps to toast the top several times letting it go out each time before toasting it again and before you tamp and true light and if you clinch your pipe as you smoke, it should burn slow and cool as you breathe smoke.

Preacher1611 and Coda like this.
  7. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

So I just smoked some Virginia Gentleman. Pretty good smoke. From now on, I think I'll do the following with Virginia's:

-Pack lightly
    -"Super Char" (char and let it burn out 3-4 times)
    - Smoke and enjoy.

Preacher1611 and cobbsmoker like this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

:th1:

9. Bman64

Bman64 Member

OGS requires rubbing out f/b a decent airing out, but then it's all cake. Every Va or Va blend I've preferred has been in flake form, and I've come to realize if I only work with the flake I'm about to smoke, the entire tin stays fresher longer. I equate this to there being less available surface area to oxidize.
    Having said that, it's necessary all the more to adequately dry out the flake after rubbing. I keep beating the Louisiana Flake drum, but if you ended up liking it you'd end up loving it, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.