1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Propensity to hoard

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Tenthgate, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

So I just got through a good laugh with my wife at the 200 dollars worth of tinned tobacco sitting on my desk (pics to follow) and it occurred to me that I feel like I'm just getting started. Half of these are trial tins that I'm probably going to add to because I have discovered a deep seated fear of scarcity when it comes to my new hobby. I can't see that pipe tobacco production is exactly on the rise and I view these tins as little treasure chests of immense value!

Am I the only one prone to excess or do any of you share this need to hoard? I can't see myself stopping anytime soon and to be quite honest its going to start getting ridiculous. My wife just read this and asked me "Start?" :0laugh:

By the By, Presbyterian mixture is incredible.

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Presbyterian is indeed excellent.

I have my own "low-rent" way of cellaring hoarding. Currently I've got a full tub each of PA and CH and two more that are almost full. I plan to add two more full tubs of each the next time I'm at the smokeshop by my girlfriend's place. I've also got five tins of OGS set aside to age and another one just waiting to be opened once I finish off the emma jar of 5100 on my coffee table (I've also got another pound of 5100 jarred).

I think cellaring hoarding is a wise thing to do, especially given the current taxes which are only bound to go up.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Member

At least stockpiling pipe tobacco has a realistic rationale behind it, as Bri2k says. The price will only go up from here, and accessibility may even decline (independent of others' cellaring/hoarding.) Just lately I've gone from being a "buy just enough for now" guy to stockpiling several months worth.

4. MikePiper1

MikePiper1 Member

I think the hoarding mentality has had a major impact on the availablility of some of the more popular brands.
    So if everyone would stop hoarding so I could get my hands on a few pounds of FVF - that would be great! :whistle:

5. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Ah nice, I'm a huge fan of OGS as well, every source I could find was out of the 100g tins and that put the fear in me so I bought a bunch of 50g.

As far as burleys go I've only smoked Big n'Burley by C&D and some of Boswell's premium. I'll have to check out the PA and CH varieties soon.

6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

$200 worth? My wife shat (past tense of ... well, you'll figure it out) a stack of rubber nickles a couple of months ago when I ordered $100 worth. I've got about 20 tins stashed and I would like to double it. BTW, you are right about Presby being incredible. I don't simply like it - I crave it.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Cellar Wide & Deep! AND NOW!

Prices will never be this "cheap" if you can consider them cheap.

Blends disappear, stop being made, or due to "seasonality" (the '83 crop may not be replaced by better!.........ever?!!!), blenders retire and recipes get locked away or no blender continues on with that particular blend, or it becomes the old "the new ones aren't as good as the older version", yada-yada-yada.

Accessibility may be restricted (as of May 1 2011) Marylanders will not be able to legally buy any toby (at all) unless it's sold at a Maryland b&m AND the higher MD State Excise tax applied. So, it looks like Puff will be buying his toby differently now. :whistle:

Greed for tax revenue is driving the above new law but new "anti-smoking" laws are popping up all the time. Just For Him is now in a "NO Smoking" zone! Not even if your business is 100% tobacco and the smoking of it.

Times change. Tastes change. Your fav today may not be your fav in 2 yrs.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm with Puff.

Just as an aside regarding availability.

Certain brands will likely never go away. Mac Baren's has been around for eons, Peter Stokkebye appears to be a player with longevity and McClellands has stood the test of time.

The Gawith boys have been around a long time and recipes get taught by the elders. But smaller blenders, who knows? And specific blends are even dicier. Anyone seen any recent renderings of Dunhill Elizabethan, for example?

Then there's the matter of blends changing over time. A 2000 crop might taste the same as a 2010 but what about in another 10 years? Blending is an art and part of that art is knowing how to "fix" leaf that doesn't taste the same as an earlier version and making the blend consistent over a long period. How many times have I heard that Blend A doesn't taste the same as it did 10 years ago? Many!

Puff says "cellar wide and deep" and I'm on board with this. Find blends you love and buy as much as you can reasonably afford. This maintains the price, the availability and the consistency.

9. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

With around 100# +/- in the cellar and another 10# in the "rotation", I'm backing off on my tobacco purchases...a fixed income is a bear! However, I still pick up a bit every month. Nice thing about my cellar is its age...I put much of it back years ago. I have some tins & jars from the early 70's...should be pretty good about now. The dab I buy now will be sweet stuff by the time I work my way around to it.....some day.

11. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

13. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

14. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I find myself buying much more than I can smoke, there is a kid in a candy store aspect to acquiring all this tobacco, especially tins.

15. MarkC

MarkC Member

I feel like a kid in a candy store too. I can’t stop buying tobacco. When I hear of a blend that sounds good I buy one or two tins. I have been smoking a pipe for about 7 or 8 months and I have about 75 tins and a couple pounds of bulk and I only smoke 3 to 5 bowls per week. If you people would quit talking about all the great tobacco it would really help.

Mark

16. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

The "candy store aspect" is what started my cellar. Keep on trying all those new blends, but if you have a current favorite, buy that in quantity too. It's a quick way to augment your cellar, and even if your tastes change, you have some well aged tobacco that will make superb trading materials. That and the fact that pipe tobacco will never be cheaper.....or more available....is all the reason you need.
    Look to bulks...Stokkebye, McClelland, etc...all good, inexpensive (relatively) ways to grow the stash.

17. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I buy as much as my modest means will afford, especially because I am fond of many SG blends that go in and out of stores within hours, if they come around at all. Fortunately my habit is pretty modest, smoking only a bowl two a day, so a 250g box of SL and a few odd tins of other things will carry me along for quite some time, given the number of different tobaccos that I smoke.

I'll tell you a tale of woe from days gone by, though.

Maybe 10 or 11 years ago, I really started to get into English tobaccos, having sporadically smoked aromatics since I was about 22. I had sampled a couple of things that were available from my local B&M, such as British Woods from McClelland (I don't think FMATP had come out yet) and something called English Opulence from Stokkebye, which I also thought was pretty good. Some time later, maybe a year, I was in another city and I had some money to burn, and so I stopped in at the local tobacconist to peruse their selection. I came across a lone tin of Rattray's 3 Noggins, and having sussed it as a full English, bought the same. From the first light, I knew this tobacco was head and shoulders above what I had tried previously. It burned incredibly cool by comparison, and had a flavor the others only aspired to. I had found my Holy Grail, and knew I would smoke this stuff so long as I lived and breathed. I put it in a jar and smoked it regularly, maybe a bowl or two a week.

Later that year, I went to my first pipe show, and found someone who was selling Rattray at an incredible price, so I bought a bulk bag of 3 Noggins, among some other tins. It looked a little different than I remembered, but I thought maybe I was mistaken. After lighting, I immediately noticed that while it was not bad, it was somewhat lackluster compared to the tobacco that I had at home. I immediately thought, well, maybe the bulk is different from the tin. I went back to the same vendor the next day and picked up two tins, figuring that was still a reasonable stockpile for me, since they were 100g each, and I could always buy more later. When I got home, I stashed them in the cellar and put my bulk bag in a big jar, figuring that it was still not bad, after all, but I went ahead and all but finished the first tin, leaving maybe a half a bowlful in the bottom of the jar.

Then I opened the first of my tins from the show, only to find it full of the same stuff that I bought in bulk. It was of a longer cut than my previous tin, and had a noticeably smaller portion of Latakia (it had more brown leaf, in any event). I was horrified. What had happened? Had this guy been a chiseler, using Rattray's good name to sell some no name tobacco? I started searching for answers, which is about the time I discovered TobaccoReviews.com.

Well, I quickly learned that Rattray hadn't been made by the original company for some time (you haven't heard that one before, have you? *cough* Dunhill *cough*). In fact, it went through a dark period when a Danish firm made it and, by most accounts, screwed up all the original recipes in a misguided attempt to improve the venerable blends, or at least to put their stamp on them. Fortunately, I was told, the brand had recently been taken over by Kohlhase & Kopp, who went back to the original blends, though of course there were many who said they were still inferior to the Scottish versions. I then realized that the blend I had liked so well was not the current German version, nor the original Scottish one, but the Danish version, of all things (hey, it was really good). The store I bought it from must have had it for at least four years before they sold it to me, so there was no way I could have stockpiled it, but nonetheless I was deprived of something I truly loved because of the capricious machinations of big business.

Anyway, you can see what happens sometimes. If you like it, stock up, just be sure what you're buying is what you think it is. Bowl of 3 Noggins, anyone? I've got plenty.

18. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

19. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

My name is Ol Brokedik and I am a hoarder.

20. Zfog

Zfog Member

I am a hoarder and I need help! I came from having a decent sized cigar collection. Now I love my pipes and am still actively trading off my cigars. I have been smoking pipes for about 2 months and have about 25 pounds. I would like to have my weight worth of baccy. The anti's must not win!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.