Ps cube cut and relights

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DanielO, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielO

DanielO Member

I really like PS Cube Cut, but I can't seem to get through a bowl without at least six relights. The little suckers just won't stay lit. Has anybody found a solution to this problem?

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I put just enough PA on top to get it going. Works for me, YMMV.

shadow likes this.
  3. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

How are you packing the pipe? I gravity fill and give it a tap and add a bit more if needed. Slight tamp with my finger and I'm good to go. This is how pack cube cuts.

shadow and Mark w4mms like this.
  4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

It's very easy to pack the stuff too full...I simply gravity fill and light up, pretty much like TxPipesmoker suggests. I have found, however, that the moisture level can be tricky as it's hard sometimes (for me) to tell how moist the stuff is. When I got it, it was a touch too moist. It slowly became perfect, and after ignoring it for a while in a half-filled jar it is now too dry and while it doesn't go out like it did at first (I can smoke a bowl with maybe one relight now) it DOES bite me kinda bad. I only have a little left, but I'm going to try rehydrating it a bit and then giving it another go, because when it's just right it's a wonderful blend.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  5. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

I have the same problem with PS cube cut. It's good stuff but difficult to keep lit. I don't have a solution but breaking some of the cubes up on top to help form a better ember might help.

6. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

PS Cube Cut mixed with some McClelland 5100 is mighty tasty and helps the burn rate.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

That's the perfect method!
    For an easy start you could try putting some dregs on top to get you going.:bing:

8. Prof

Prof Member

What a delightful blend - I didn't expect the bag note that I got with this stuff -but I anticipate I will have the same relight problem - I have given up caring at this point, I relight whenever I have to, and have gotten pretty adept at relighting with one hand! I hope this tastes as good as it smells!

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've found that Cube Cut is kind of like smoking a fold & stuff flake. You have to tamp it differently than ribbon cut or rubbed out tobacco to keep it going to the bottom. I fill my pipe 3/4 and tap the bottom like TxPipesmoker said, and top it off without applying any manual pressure.

It takes several charring lights sometimes, but show some patience. It's important with this one to get an even light across the top from the start. Once going good, I puff normally until the smoke starts to thin a little. At this point, I tamp a little more firmly than with a rubbed out blend. Rubbed out tobacco will pack down easily and restrict air intake. Cube Cut nuggets are firmer and can handle a little shove to keep the cherry even.

My first bowl of Cube Cut took a few relights. About half way through the bowl I figured it out, and have not had an issue since. Using a pipe with a tall narrow bowl helps too.

10. Gig

Gig Member

This is a blend I've wanted to try for some time. I have heard alot of good things about this one :)

11. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I had a cube cut once. I couldn't keep it lit. Didn't make any difference how I packed it, it would't take the flame. I dryed it for twelve hours then twenty four then two days. It wouldn't burn. I could've put out a campfire by throwing it on top of it.

Ol Brokedik.

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

You know, soaking it for 10 minutes in some Kingsford charcoal fluid would probably do the trick. :rolleyes:

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  13. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

Or perhaps lighting with a propane torch. :D

14. Prof

Prof Member

Ok, once lit, it was very good, but what a pain in the ass! I must have sucked in half a can of butane...is there a burley/butane blend out there? If not, I think I blended one...I am an inventor!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.