1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Puff's CCSS "Blonde"

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

[​IMG]

I like "white pipes". This one smokes cool, long, and sweet!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

2. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

That is a gorgeous cob. Why the tie straps?

3. Puff The Magic

It's my "modern day Tom Sawyer" mod. I've split a few shanks on these CCSS Freehands and didn't want to do the same on this one. Tired of regluing and waiting for it to dry then by accident dropping it. It seems that EVERYTIME a CCSS is "dropped" it breaks the shank! So, this prevents it. I am looking for a more suitable "fix" but I normally take my cobs apart and reglue everything to "hold" rather than just stay together. So I'll take this one back apart if it ever breaks.........but with the cable ties and my gluing, this baby isn't ever coming back apart.

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

edit: Thanks for the compliment!

4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Ed, your racks look a bit too full. I will be happy to offer your some storage space with the caveat I get to smoke the pipes so they stay "conditioned" for you :velho:

5. Puff The Magic

The ONLY ones that don't get smoked "often" are the briars..........and I do smoke them but just not as often. Although that may change with these new Tinskys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your kind and generous offer though :velho:

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

6. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

A possible "elegant" solution: use a thread or metal wire wrap similar to fishing rods. If you search "fly rod thread knot" you'll come up with a lot of stuff like: http://www.acidrod.com/thread.html A nail knot is an example of one that might work.

If you used epoxy under the thread/wire, it would be plenty strong. Think of the possibilities :D

WyoBob

7. Stoked

Stoked Member

Ed, are your shanks splitting due to dropping or just because the stem is a tight fit? I'm pretty sure that's why MM cobs have the metal band on the shank- to prevent the wood from expanding too much once it gets wet. With a MM cob, once it's smoked the band gets real snug and when it's dry they basically fall off the shank.

A solution to a tight stem is to sandpaper around the diameter a bit, the part where the stem fits into the shank. If the stem is too tight a fit, this along with the expansion from moisture will surely split your shank.

Of course dropping your pipe isn't going to help either. :D

[​IMG]
    ~ Orlik Golden Sliced ~
    Smoked by all shrewd judges
    and "geniuses"

8. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

That cob is very nice, i really like that stem with it, they go together great. And damn you are the cob man lol, that rack was just full of cobs haha....... And holy hell those Tinskys are just gorgeous, the black one had me drooling the instant i saw it.

9. Puff The Magic

Herez a better pic of Blondie:

[​IMG]

What I plan on doing is to put a brass or steel ring around the stem end of the shank and remove the two zip ties.........eventually. No rush now, I'm having too much fun smokin' her and also looking for just the right ring/band.

The stem is mortise-tenon joint that's butted so it's not tapered at all. It's a superb fit Walker bros did.

:roflmao:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.