1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Puff's "Madness" method

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Each time I smoked a bunch of pipes, I'd end up with a pile of smokers that started to fill up a large ashtray of "pipes awaiting cleaning". Unsightly, sort of disrespectful to the pipe considering some are sort of expensive or with huge sentimental value. I really could never remember which pipes I had smoked 6 or 8 days ago so I'd place them in a different place, the ashtray, so I could tell "who" needed cleaning.

Well, that changed as of yesterday. Some of you may already do this but I figured I'd share. All of my pipes are in racks (the smoker ones), the new ones are still in boxes or bags. All of my racked pipes have the bowls facing one way (usually away from the front of the rack, facing the back). For the ones I've recently smoked and need cleaning, I put them back into the rack, same place but face the bowl forward. Simple. No pile of dirty pipes. All returned back to their home slot and all is fine!

It's really not "madness" per se but when you look at the grande scheme of "everything Puff", it's MADNESS I tell you!

Enjoy and Happy Puffin'! :velho:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

2. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I cannot help but clean the pipe out after each use. It is time consuming, but I can't stop doing it.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm a creature of habit and have always just loved the rituals of pipe smoking - for me it finishes off the day and winds it down perfectly for me to clean polish and return to its bed that day's pipe. I just love them on display softly gleaming in the lamplight ready for duty when their time comes round again.

As we always say - "Each to his own" - if it works for you stick with it!

Happy smoking all,

Gerry

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I like to dump the ash & clean w/a pipe cleaner while my briars are still warm. The oils & tars are still warm enough that the cleaner absorbs more and the cake absorbs less. I think it provides less gurgle this way when smoking.

I don't polish & clean the chamber but a couple of times per year anyway. Most of my pipes are dedicated to a particular blend, so I rather enjoy the ghosting.

Other than running a cleaner through the stem, I haven't figured out what to do with my cob yet. The bottom is getting some cake buildup and I'm afraid to dig too hard and tear up the pipe.

5. Puff The Magic

They're all clean now, except for one (a cob!). Gonna be a fun weekend folks! Next weekend is NAPSC Columbus OH. Can you buy tobacco at these?

Maybe I should just take a nice hike down the road...........

:punk:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

6. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Being that my pipe collection is somewhat limited I always clean my pipe at the end of the day to make sure they are ready the next time I need them.

7. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Make sure you give a report of the NAPCS meet. I enjoy the newsletter though I've never had occasion to take my card out of my wallet.

8. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Puff I hope they sell Toby, that is the only thing I am allowed to buy at the moment.

9. rusty

rusty Member

I dont have many pipes, but the ones I use regularly, well as regular as I do, get tissue wiped out

inside and out with the bowls, then a quick rub down the side of my nose, and a pipe cleaner through the stem. Thats my Falcon and Alco, and now my international too. The others rarely get used now, but I give them a dust off now and then. But I do tend to clean straight after use normaly.

10. Booker

Booker Member

I usually leave a pipe cleaner sticking out the stem of my dirty pipes, unless it's one of my Falcons, those I just toss in the sink, after removing the bowl!

11. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Who's to say what's right or wrong. I'll use em or abuse em (yes I know you shouldn't) I'll pull the stem out hot or cold and give both parts a blow through to remove condensate if necessary. If it's a falcon, whip the bowl out and give a wipe with paper towel, if it's grotty it's time for a pipe cleaner too. If the bowl is dusty from too much ash it gets wiped too. If when removing the last remains from the bowl if I don't have a knife I may even tap the pipe out upside down on the nearest hard surface, I have even used the side mirror whilst driving, you should see the rim of my old Peterson.... No you shouldn't. These were all in the past where it was all about the quick smoke, now I have more respect for time, care of my pipes and less stress.

12. Puff The Magic

What? You mean Falcons aren't "dishwasher safe"? just kidding......

I know the saying "what works for you.....works"! But there are many things that we do in our daily lives that can be improved upon with just a little "tweak" or re-structuring of process.

When I clean, I break 'em down all the way and the stem & shanks all get a nice dose of scotch/bourbon/rum (whatever's avail.) and give the bowls a nice light ream to strip the cake if cob/meer, or re-dress the cake if briar. I feel happy with my process but am always looking to make it better or easier for me. That also includes less costly as well.

:groucho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

13. thomas

thomas Member

Ive always just taken a can of dust off and sprayed that in there right after a smoke. If things get really hairy I have a can of WD-40 on stand-by and Ill spray that in there and let the pipe dry for a couple days... :groucho:

14. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I clean the bowls after each smoke. On filtered pipes I clean stem to stern and replace the filter after every two smokes. It doesn't take long because I have all my tools for cleaning in an old roll up leather pistol cleaning kit.

15. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I do the same thing. After the pipe cools, I clean it after each use and then I clean it again before smoking it. Old habit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.