1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Pull the Trigger?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Spaceboy Tim, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

So some of you know I just got into pipes and currently only own a cob. I decided I would not buy any expensive pipes until I get a good feel for what tobys I like and don't like. What you might not know is that I love collecting things. Used to be basketball cards and toys when I was younger and now it looks like I'm moving on to pipes. Yes, PAD has hit me but (sadly) it is not getting the best of me due to my limited funds. Still, I can't help but scour the internet looking for pipes I would like to own. So far I have 10 pipes in the $50-$120 range bookmarked on my computer for future considerations. I'm not too worried since they're from companies who will likely keep producing the same pipes for years to come. But then along comes:

http://secure.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=65371

I found this pipe recently and I'm really torn with this. I've seen many great pipes in my short time in this hobby but there hasn't been one that I've wanted as bad as this. As I said earlier I can't really be spending this kind of money on pipes since I'm a jobless college student who is still saving for next semester's tuition but I could make this purchase happen if I really wanted. Here's a few pros and cons that I'm thinking of:

Pros of buying it:
    -I like it a lot. There's very little I don't like about it.
    -This company's out of business so this may be my only shot at it.

Cons of buying it:
    -According to smokingpipes.com: "Condition: 3.7/5 Cracked shank was repaired with a silver band, and the rim has darkened at the rear." (I'm pretty nit-picky when it comes to little details).
    -I wish the shank and stem were more like the 'yacht' or 'danish' in this picture: http://www.tobaccopiperestore.com/pipe chart 2.jpg
    -I've never held it so I only have a 2-D idea of how the pipe actually is.

With these in mind I've thought of a few options:

1. Buy it and return it if I don't like it
    2. Pass on it since I'll come by a similar pipe eventually that I may like as much or more
    3. Pass on it and eventually get one custom made (how much would this cost?)

I would love to hear any of your input on this matter guys.

2. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

In my experience if you really want it get it. I sometimes get pissed if I miss out on something I should of bought. I don't want to talk you in to it though.
    Sometimes when a pipe appeals you have to make the hard decision. The extra cost could be saved somewhere else ie don't eat for a week :whistle:
    In your case this is a fairly unusual pipe. The repair is a drawback but if carried out well should be no problem and if there is some sort of return policy at least you can make an informed decision when it's in your hand. I spend a lot of time looking at pipes and pipe makers to get ideas and with the thousands available it's usually only a few that really jump out that are a must have. It's such a personal choice.
    Cheers.

3. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

You could probably get a fellow canuck (who's also on the forum) to custom make you a similar one for less than you think! :bing: it would probably even smoke better!

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

You are paying alot (in my opinion) for a pipe with pedigree. Bogelund ran Bari in the 80s. Bari was important because it was founded by Viggo Nielsen, and run by his sons, Kai and Jorgen until the mid 70s. All three were pretty serious pipe gods, and rubbed elbows with the rest of the Danish uber carvers.

I think the price is too high. If you like some of the features, but not all, work with a carver like Mark Tinsky, or Todd Bannard (otherwise known as Sasquatch) to get the exact pipe you want, at around the same price.

5. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

:withstupid:

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I was thinking that pipe was going to be listed for like 80 bucks, and I would have said "grab it" but for 165 I just can't justify it. History behind the pipe or not, I always wonder at what else is less than factory perfect on the piece...

You can get twice the pipe for the money if you sniff around, in any number of respected brands/makers' stamps.

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Sometimes ad copy is better than the actual pipe. For a lot of "Tonni Nielson character going on" it's still a broken pipe not made by Tonni Nielson. $165 is steep for that.

8. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Based on your budget I would reccomend any of the following for your 1st briar (in no particular order):

Brebbia
    Stanwell
    Peterson
    Boswell
    Neerup
    Savinelli

I'd personally wait on a custom job untill you really know what style of pipe fits you.

9. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

10. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

I have a Vauen Vesuv, and it smokes great. This is it: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/vauen/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=65543

11. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Thanks for looking out guys. I have a pretty bad idea of how much I should be paying for estate pipes so it's great to hear from you guys. I think I'll pass on it since I'm not completely happy with it and since I you guys said I could probably get one custom made for about the same price. I'm not too hardcore into this hobby yet so getting big name pipes isn't important to me.

If I could get the shank and stem from this pipe and the bowl from the one I posted it would be exactly what I want. Thanks for the heads up.

12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

13. Jay

Jay Active Member

Sounds like a case of PAD to me...

14. akohtz

akohtz Member

I guess I was working around the same price range when I started too. These brands mentioned here were all showed to me at the shop when I went in to get my first pipe. (As well as some Comoy's too). I spent a long time looking them over and narrowed the field down to 3 pipes that I liked. It was nice to get to physically hold them though. That helped me finally settle on my Stanwell.

The couple of times I've gone back into the shop since then I've 'visited' the Savinelli that I liked too. One of these days I'm gonna look in the case and it's gonna be missing. I'll shed a quick tear and move on.

Like you, I was tempted by some estate buys. In the end I think my money was better spent on a decent new pipe.

- Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.