Pulled the trigger on a Falcon

Discussion in 'Metal Smoking Pipes' started by TWolf, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TWolf

TWolf Member

I've been curious about Falcons for a while and for some reason (after ribbing a new guy about PAD :doh:) I just had to visit Ebay and look around. I just picked up a Falcon with an unsmoked bowl for $25. The stem looks to be in good shape with no dents, dings, or scratches and the mouthpiece looks clean, solid, and not chewed upon. The bowl is, as I said unsmoked, and is a rustic Dublin.

The markings on the bottom are "Falcon Made in England" and "AN 3". I'm curious about the age if anyone happens to know how to approximate the date.

This is my first Falcon. Is there anything I need to know?

Thanks!

2. Artistik

Artistik Member

This is my first Falcon. Is there anything I need to know?

Stuff it with baccy and fire it up.

TWolf likes this.
  3. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

I think you will enjoy the Falcon. Mine smoke great. If Snake sees this post he may be able to give you a little more background on the AN3.

TWolf likes this.
  4. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Congrats on your first Falcon!
    After seeing this post yesterday I was looking for a Falcon and snapped one too! Wooohooo, also my first Falcon, it's new and unsmoked and it comes with a smooth Algiers bowl.
    [​IMG]
    Curious about these dry rings, are they any good, do I have to use them?

5. Rockbass

Rockbass Member

Only you and your maker know.When you run out of filters, just use a piece of pipe cleaner.

6. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

+1

7. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

I have never used the dry rings but I do use a pipe cleaner as a dry ring. I like it, it helps keep the moisture restricted to the bowl.

GANDALF WHITE and PipeSimmo like this.
  8. dBear

dBear Active Member

I don't use any sort of dry ring at all. I bought both mine as estate pipes so never had any. I just leave the humidor part empty. It's kind of neat, because you can see how much juice a tobacco generates when you screw the bowl off after a smoke. The cleanup is so easy! Just a wipe with a napkin. I've found the humidor action keeps the stem fairly clean too, and I now only run a pipe cleaner through it every other bowl instead of every bowl as I do with my other pipes.

9. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

Things to know about your Falcon:
    1. Do NOT remove the mouthpiece. They are press fit and not meant to be removed, doing so will damage the airway.
    2. After a smoke, remove the bowl and wipe out the moisture with a Q-tip. This will prevent the moisture from flowing down the airway and gumming it up. also run the Q-tip around the threads of the humidome to prevent the tar from making the bowl stick.
    3. When using pipe cleaners, it is easier to go bowl to bit, than bit to bowl.
    4. Use 151 rum or everclear on your pipe cleaner to remove any ghosting in the airway. It will also remove any tar that has built up over time.

I think you will find the Falcon will quickly become one of your favorite pipes. They are very forgiving and easy to use. I have found that the dry rings restrict airflow. All the dry rings are really good for is sopping up the moisture in the humidome to prevent possible leakage if the pipe is tipped stem down. A word of warning, Falcon pipes can lead to bouts of PAD. I started with one and now have over 5 of them. They offer many different options such as color, bent or straight, length, and bowl styles, so like prengles chips, you cant stop at just one.

PAD triggering image
    [​IMG]

10. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Only three bits of advice, don't bother with the dry rings, smoke tobacco in it and resistance to buying more falcons is futile.

11. TWolf

TWolf Member

Remmy, thank you for the info. Being new to Falcons I did not know that about the mouthpiece. Important piece of information. And I do understand the PAD issue. I have it with Petersons...and GBDs...and now Savs...

12. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Member

Thanks for the pic Remington. I have got to get a bent one. I disagree with Bernard. I like using pipe cleaners as dry rings as I mentioned above which is strange because I don't like filters much. PAD? I can't resist anything that is shiny and smokes baccy now since I've started into metals. I don't have any many as Remington but I'll be there one day....:banana:

mecompco, dBear and BernardLerring like this.
  13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Sorry I'm a little late to
    this party, but Rem has
    offered up a good bit of
    advice. Don't bother with
    the 'filters'(dry rings).
    As far as the age, the
    AN stands for Anodic
    which is the pressing
    Factory. 3 is the third die
    in that series. IMHO,
    Anodic stems are some
    of the best Falcons.
    I'll have to do some
    digging for a more
    specific date, but I'd
    say that the pipe dates
    from the '60s.

PipeSimmo, dBear and TWolf like this.
  14. TWolf

TWolf Member

Thank you Snake! That's good to hear. I actually received the pipe yesterday afternoon. The bowl is unsmoked as advertized. The pipe itself can use a bit of a polishing but it looks great - on the outside. The inside was another matter. As easy as these things appear to clean I don't understand why the bugger who smoked it never seemed to clean it. It took a bit of effort but I have nice white pipe cleaners passing through it now. Looking forward to smoking it.

Question. I've read that there is supposed to be a gasket on the threads of the bowl. Is this right? There doesn't seem to be one on this bowl. Is it necessary and if so can I just go to Ace and find an O-ring that fits?

GANDALF WHITE, dBear and mecompco like this.
  15. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

I have four bowls for my two Falons (one bent, which I prefer and one straight), none of which have gaskets. I've not found any leakage using them "as is". I love the Falcon--let it cool a few mintues, remove the bowl, give the humidor a quick swab, screw on another bowl and fire it up again. Wish they made a full-bent.

I got this response from Biggles recently for a similar question:

Yup, there's supposed to be a nylon gasket on the lip (above the threads) where the briar seats against the aluminum. I think they may have replaced the nylon with rubber in recent years, but I'm not sure about that. Seems like I read it somewhere but all my bowls are older so I can't really say more.

Even if it turns out to be a leaker it's not the end of the world - you can always unscrew the bowl mid-smoke and shake out the excess moisture from the humidrome. Flacons really are supremely adaptable! :puffy:

Just mind those threads when you screw the bowl back on! :ohyh:

Edit - seems like one of moderators has dealt with this previously! :poke::xd:

https://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/how-to-fix-a-falcon-bowl.16491/#post-293069

TWolf likes this.
  16. TWolf

TWolf Member

Thank you for the input! I'll give it a try without and see what happens.

Oh Dwaugh :doh: :laff:

dBear likes this.
  17. TWolf

TWolf Member

Fired it up for the first time. Since the bowl was previously unsmoked I only half filed it and wanted to keep it simple so I went with Middleton's Cherry.

Smoked. Like. A. Dream.

I'm sold! Wow. I've been smoking a lot of MC recently and I like it a lot but man, I was tasting flavor I didn't know it had. Bowl never got hot and the one time I thought I needed a relight I discovered it was because I had smoked down to ash. And clean up was indeed a breeze. I think I need a couple more of these babies. And some bowls!

18. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Glad you like it! I've smoked my bent most of the day. Need to find some more bowls are a reasonable price.

dBear and TWolf like this.
  19. TWolf

TWolf Member

Yeah, me too. There are a couple of vendors selling them on Ebay. Looks like 4Noggins has them as well, and there we get the PSF discount. Holler if you find a deal!

dBear likes this.
  20. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

I'll keep looking for used bowls--$30-$40 a pop for new ones is more than I'd like to spend. Got the bent pipe, three bowls and a nice stand for $30 shipped from the 'Bay.

TWolf and dBear like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.