1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Purchased Savinelli Varese need expertise

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Carl Hutchins, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Hutchins

Carl Hutchins New Member

First off I want to say hello. I'm new to the forum and pipe smoking in general. I have been smoking all MM cobs with the predicted Carter Hall, Capt. Black White and Prince Albert. I just received a Savinelli Varese that I purchased from JRCigars.com for $48 from a sale they are having. After opening the box I have a few concerns and was hoping for some expertise on the matter. First off, the pipe didn't not come in the usual Savinelli box and felt pouch, it came in a JR Cigars cardboard box. Not a real concern was just hoping for some of the bells and whistles it being my first briar. On to the pipe itself. One of my biggest concerns is that the mouthpiece or lip is crooked when the stem is centered perfectly with the shank. The inside of the mouthpiece is also very dirty. Also, imprinted on the bowl is "Savinelli Product." Does this mean it's of a lesser quality or do all Savinelli pipes print that? Even the balsa filter looks like it had its fair share of abuse. No instructions, no Savinelli paperwork or package of balsa filters were enclosed. I don't mean for my first post to be negative, something just doesn't seem right from all of the positive and rave reviews I've read on Savinelli products in general.

2. Pappy

Pappy Member

3. Goat

Goat Active Member

Was this advertised as a new or used pipe?

4. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

Looks to me like that's one of their entry level pipes, it may not have a perfect fit and finish but I would bet it smokes fine. I have three and love them all.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

These retail for around $75. There's no excuse for what you received. Unless this is some J&R exclusive where they're selling clearly marked seconds, don't smoke it - send it back for refund. Edgard Varese would be ashamed to have his name on it!!!!

It's a great price for that pipe and it makes me wonder if it's not some knockoff of a Varese.

6. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Welcome to PSF!

I second what kerr says. Send it back, add $20 to your "budget" and get a REAL Savinelli :th1:

I have a few Savs and they don't say "Product of" on them.

7. Carl Hutchins

Carl Hutchins New Member

Thanks for all of the feedback. The pipe is not used. The bowl is clean. I'll be sending it back today. That's a bummer I have some Frog Morton On The Town and Escudo Navy Deluxe arriving today that I was anxious to try out in my new briar. Anyone have any pipe suggestions? I really like the Dublin bowl shapes. I'm drawn to the Peterson Killarney (120) but also like the Italian design of the Savinelli.

8. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

My advice on pipe shapes is to get what attracts you and feels right to you. There is no right or wrong. For me, it is as much the size of the bowl as the shape -- and again, that comes back to personal preference. I like a moderate to large-ish size bowl. If I can stick my thumb in the bowl, up to about the fingernail I'm good. I've also been known to hold the very end of the bit between my thumb and index finger to kind of "check balance." That is my "in-store" test, since they generally frown upon sticking it in your mouth to check the clench. :)

Good luck finding a first briar that suits you. I'm sure it will be one of many. And, welcome to PSF. :bing:

9. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Pick up a Dr. Grabow while you are waiting on your Sav.

10. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

The feel of a pipe is so important to me to the enjoyment of my smoke that I would say try and find a B&M and handle them if you can, the one in my town even has alcohol wipes for before and after clenching tests (or they used to I haven't been in a year). Other than that, buy what looks right to you and if you don't like it you can always find someone on here with something to trade.

11. Robert leslie

Robert leslie Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.