1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Purchasing a new pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WillW, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillW

WillW Member

I own a briar pipe, but am looking to purchase another one. I am really drawn towards churchwardens. Also, something about savinelli pipes have caught my eye. I am open to any suggestions about what a solid second pipe would be, so PSF, what would you suggest as a great second pipe?

-W
    Smoke on my friends

2. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

I'm no 'seasoned' judge of pipes but I have a Peterson (nice) and a Savinelli 320 Sistina, also nice. Both smoke well. The quality on the Savinelli is a little better. I like the Savinelli a bit more plus it's a really cool and unusual style of pipe.

3. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Savinelli is a great choice. May I suggest also looking at some of our forum members who make pipes. There are folks right here on this site who will make you a pipe for a VERY fair price. As a matter of fact by lurking about and joining this site I found a pipe maker that other wise I would have not found. I will refrain from mentioning names as I feel that ANY of the folks making pipes that frequent this forum make wonderful pipes that I ma sure you would not be disapponted in.
    I am not trying to steer you into a pipe you may not want--just a suggestion as there are so many options within the pipe world today.

gentimmy likes this.
  4. taharris

taharris Sales Account

What is your budget?

5. WillW

WillW Member

Around 60

6. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

7. Marker

Marker Active Member

Capri makes an excellent churchwarden for about 60. I have one and enjoy it. Use it for certain aros.

8. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

At that price, I'd be patient and wait for Smokingpipes.com to have something good in their estate section. They post new pipes Mondays and Thursdays just before 3pm CST. You could get a NICE pipe there.

9. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

Try a cob churchwarden or I think dge might have a briar cw on his site for that price.

10. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

New or Estate?

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Get five Missouri Meerschaums - a General, a couple of Great Danes and a Country Gentleman. They will keep you busy with cool, dry smokes for years. Maybe the rest of your life.

If Savinelli ever made a bad pipe I haven't heard about it, except their vulcanite stems usually turn brown/green in a few months. Not sure what that's all about. Get a Sav with a lucite stem. The Sav naturals have made a LOT of smokers very happy with high quality and low price, by the way. They are in your range, new.

Churchwarden pipes don't get far from home making them totally impractical for many; impossible in the car and in need of more cautious handing that standard length pipes. People call you Gandalf or Frodo all the time and snicker. After the wizards and dragons thing (in your mind) wears off I think their cool factor fades. Also, churchwarden guys obscess about where they'll find their next order of foot-long pipecleaners. Odd thing about churchwardens is, there is no shortage of them new (nice pipes, many) but I never see them for sale used. That means practically nobody buys them or they get broken or forgotten; that, or their owners LOVE them so much they will never part. It is all a mystery to me.

In the end the pipe will choose you.

12. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I agree with Mr. Moo. Get and handful of MM Cobs and if you want the churchwarden experience buy a Walker Briar Works "forever" stem in a churchwarden length. It'll set you back about $20.00. You can then switch it out when you want to go short or long.

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/-forever-_stems.html

bubbagump and JHeiliger like this.
  13. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Sales Account

In that price range, if you are stuck on briar, (for new) I would buy a Sav. Like someone else said... I don't think they have ever made a bad smoker!

If you don't mind estate pipes (pre-smoked/used), I would do what Octopus said and watch the estate section on smokingpipes.com for a couple weeks. You should be able to pick up a STEAL! Or, watch the "buy/sell" section here and watch for something.

Do you own any cobs? Have you tried them? If not, then I would make that my next purchase. While they will not match "the best" briars, what you get rivals just about ANY entry level pipe.

A MM Great Dane Egg with a mini churchwarden stem would be right up your ally! I have the same setup with a Diplomat and it's wonderful.

Best of luck,
    Joe

Sasquatch and bubbagump like this.
  14. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

x2. I've got a few Churchwardens. My two cobs (one WBW stem + several MM and one DGE Churchwarden) smoke every bit as well as my briar and meers.

If you're dead set on a briar though, I'd look at Savinelli.

15. User3940

User3940 Active Member

+1 on the suggestion to get a handful of cobs. Great way to build your rotation and a great smoking pipe.

16. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

17. WrightwoodJohn

18. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

no dog in the fight but the OP indicated a Savinelli and a churchwarden were his targets. a used GREEN Grabow bulldog, really?

Sasquatch likes this.
  19. WrightwoodJohn

1) "open to any suggestions"
    2) the Grabow is unsmoked
    3) it's called an option.

jpberg, Sasquatch and cobbsmoker like this.
  20. Marker

Marker Active Member

Looks more like an either or and any is fine thread. Just people trying helping out.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.