Pushing the limit on storage

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Degenetron, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

How long would you say an unopened tin of tobacco can last without deteriorating?

Been browsing the bay quite a bit lately and i keep coming across 10-20-50 year old, sealed, tobacco tins. would a 20 year old tin with an intact seal hold a smokeable tobacco?

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Almost certainly, yes.
    Wait... you don't have a twenty year old sealed tin, do you? If you do, then no, I'm sure it's all rotted away, you should send it to me so I can dispose of it properly for you... ;)

Degenetron likes this.
  3. Marc

Marc Active Member

Most sealed tins will last for an indefinite period of time but not necessarily the tobaccos in them, some tobaccos get better with age, others not so much.

4. Bacek

Bacek Member

Just out of common sense: Tobacco is organic matter. It will degrade with time. It may get better for smoking before getting worse, but it will get worse eventually. It will depend on temperature, initial bacterial/fungal contamination, moisture and ferments levels. Since nobody knows how long "perfect tobacco" can survive in sealed tin, number of people who knows how this or that particular tin will hold is even less. No personal experience here, just thinking while smoking...

Degenetron likes this.
  5. ryan65

ryan65 Member

yah i dont think a 20 year old tin will smoke better than a 10 year old tin, but a 1 year old tin most certainly will smoke better than a new tin.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

If the tin doesn't rust, the tobacco should stay good for a very long time. I've smoked tinned tobaccos that were 40 years old. But if the tin is rusted and/or the contents rattle when you shake the tin, steer clear.

7. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

How was that 40 year old tobacco, dmkerr? My thinking is much like Bacek's here and i don't think i would have even considered smoking something that old. 10 years .. ok.. 20 eeh.. perhaps. ;)

All a very theoretic debate for me though as the vintage tins i have seen are terribly expensive. If i remember correctly a pack of 5 Nightcap tins from 1990 went for something like 400 us$. Might very well be worth it, but that had better be the best tobacco in the entire world lol.

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

A friend of mine posted this on another forum last fall:
    Guess it can stay fresh for quite a while....providing the seal stays intact! I have some Erinmore Cube Cut from around'69/ '72 that is divine....much better than today's Flake. They stopped making Cube Cut in '72, so I tend to savor the tins that I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.