Q about smoking behavior..

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by sonsw87, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonsw87

sonsw87 Member

I've seen ppl cover top of their bowl with their fingers as they draw on it. Why do they do that? Is it something that I should be doing?

Thanks.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It creates combustion . If your pipe is going out [ or close ] and you cover the bowl w/ finger or whatever while drawing .... it will make the ember in the bowl fire :)

WrightwoodJohn and Mike Pomery like this.
  3. sonsw87

sonsw87 Member

ah ha!

4. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Mr. Gold has it. It's a damned handy tool in the arsenal.

5. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Yeah that's why i do it.

6. kb7get

kb7get Member

I always thought it seemed more like a vortex (like out in a windy day) you have a smaller area to induce airflow into the bowl so more turbulance into it. About like putting your finger over a waterhose. Get a jet of air into the bowl.

7. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this.

8. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

+1 on all of the above. Back when I smoked other stuff in other pipes :hip1: There was a little metal cap for little metal "pipes" that was called a slow burner. Basically had a small hole in the top so the "stuff" in the bowl of the "pipe" would smolder instead of going out. Kinda the same principle I believe. :puffy:

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Tattoos being so expensive, I do it for the permanent black ring on my thumb. It also creates a venturi effect, speeding fluid flow through a restriction and, as Mister White and Mister Gold agreed, sparks embers when things are going badly for the team. Like everything else, pipesmoking boils down to physics or, in this case, the physics of fluid dynamics.

[​IMG]

WrightwoodJohn, Elwin, shadow and 3 others like this.
  10. Hudson

Hudson Member

Mister Moo? Is there a direction of movement for the fluid? Is this why that funny looking brass thing would bail my boat?

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  11. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Yeah that question made me think why. No one has ever showed me that or told me that i've just always done it when the pipe looked like it was going to die off. Good question to ask.

12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I would just tamp lightly and relight myself keeping my burn at a low temperature instead of stoking the coal and heating everything up.

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

That's the way, in principle, how carburettors work! Very nice! We're all carburettors; the ones that finger the bowl! Myself included!:bing:

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Fluid goes:
    1. in bowl; and
    2. out stem.

15. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Oh that's why i keep burning my lips. :)

dwaugh likes this.
  16. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I've asked this question to myself a million times. "I wonder why this works"? This was another one of those things that kept me awake at nights (this and hairdos). I thought static came only from my old lady.

dwaugh likes this.
  17. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I do this to the extreme by completely covering the bowl tightly and creating a vacuum. It causes air to rush in through the stem once I open my mouth, stoking the ember and effectively removing any blockage or moisture in the stem.

18. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

What I do is use my index and middle fingers, and I'll take the index finger off and put it back on repeatedly and quickly whilst holding the middle finger in place on top of the bowl. That way it alternates between tight seal and more open, and it seems to me that it's almost like using bellows on a fire. I will defer to Moo Cow's connaissance supérieure about the physics of this matter, but that's my technique, and it works for me.

19. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Also, by covering the bowl you are reducing the amount of oxygen. that makes the ember burn the fuel, in this case, tobacco, instead. A good way to “stoke” the ember back up if it has reduced somewhat. Of course if reduced all the way there would be no air to burn the fuel and it would go out.

ComputerGuy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.