1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Quality Meerschaum ???

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jeebs, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I would like to purchase a Quality Block XLarge Meerschaum. Looking at imppipes.net, Altinok, & SMS. Can anyone give any advice on the 3 i have listed, or maybe some I'm not familiar with ?

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I always pay more attention to the actual carvers name - rather than the importer or agent.
    OT

3. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Altinok and IMP are my favorite importers....not all their carvers are "name" carvers, but everything I've gotten from them has been of good quality. SMS is a slightly lower quality importer, but still good quality for the money. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from any of them, but prefer Sinam Altinok over the others. I have 6 meerschaums from him, and all 6 are great pipes.
    YMMV

Redbeard likes this.
  4. WillH

WillH Active Member

t-bear pretty much hit it! You can get a good SMS but you'd need to see and examine it in person as they can be drilled rather poorly. Also, SMS uses a nylon tenon which I think is a bummer and SMS are generally small and you want XL.

I'd do the Altinok or IMP. Sinan Altinok reads this forum, so he'll try to make you happy to avoid any bad press.:) The Altinok Signature Series are excellent pipes and he will modify a little if you want - your going to pay more for an Altinok than IMP. Shipping is the rub.

If you want a highly carved pipe you're going to be dealing with the carver directly and that can be a horrid experience. Customer service is not in their vocabulary. It's a take it or leave it deal. Remember they are in Turkey and you're here - there is not recourse.

Will

5. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Hey, Thanks, I been talking to MA at imp via email and he offered me 10% dicount and free shipping,but I really didn't know anything about the quality. I like the apperance of Altinok over imp. TY.. Jeebs

6. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Thanks for the info....Jeebs

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You could also check out-

bestmeerschaums.homestead.com

You didn't mention him by name, but Fikri Baki(check his link) is well respected amongst sea foam smokers.

8. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Thanks for info.. I will remember that, carver over importer.. Jeebs

9. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

Someone on another site threw out his name saying they just bought a pipe from him, and I couldn't remember it, even though I spent quite a bit of time browsing through his site. He makes some really good looking pipes!

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Indeed! Baki has the highest presence of any carver in my collection of about 35 meerschaum pipes (I have about 11 Bakis). I can't say enough good things about them - simply the best! IMHO, of course!

I also have 5 IMP's and 2 Altinoks and I enjoy those as well, just not quite as much. 2 SMS pipes... one is spectacular and one needed some serious draft hole redrilling to get it to smoke properly.

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Large?

Quality Block Meerschaum?

Carver "IS" a pipe smoker too........

Sadik Yanik. Accept no less.

Ed
    Puff

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I agree that Sadik is probably one of the premier carvers today...but he can be difficult to deal with at times....very bull-headed. He banned a friend of mine from his site for complaining about a bad connector...and it was...I saw the pipe. His carving is stellar, but he's STILL!!! using those damned two piece nylon connectors! I've had one of my Yaniks converted...the other can't be, due to its design. <sigh>

Altinok will custom carve for you...send him a photo or drawing, and his carvers can do a pretty darned good job of creating it in meerschaum. One of his carvers will do portraits............

Fikri Baki (through Bestmeerschaums) is without a doubt, one of the better carvers around...most of his output is in the "classical" vein...stunning bulldogs and such. Ashamed to say that I forgot him..............

13. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

And he also does some pretty off the wall stuff, like this
    [​IMG]

Really interesting looking, for sure!

14. dmkerr

Yep! So interesting that it's been on the site for over 2 years. :D

It's definitely different, though. I'm a little surprised that someone hasn't bit on that one.

15. dmkerr

Agreed. His carving is without peer, but I've had better smokes. If he'd just change those connectors! And I'm in the same boat you are... one of my Yaniks was converted and it's physically impossible with the other.

But I'm in definite awe of his carving skill.

16. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

is that a handle for a bathroom cystern?

17. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

It looks like something that would be in a mid-century modern home. I happen to really like that style, so that's why it caught my eye.

18. WillH

WillH Active Member

Before everyone submits Baki for sainthood I've several photos of several pipes that prove the subject to be a mere mortal!

If you notice the originator of this thread pretty much announced his three choices he wanted opinions about: IMP, Altinok and SMS. Sounds like he's looking for a smoker not a piece of art work .

Will

19. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

All saints were/are mortal, Will.(I think?...not Catholic). Most people welcome suggestions....and if they're unnecessary, well, they can be ignored. Me personally....I never mind having options handed to me. A great thing about here, and forums in general, is the width and depth of said opinions. The more, the merrier.

20. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I have plans to be a Saint, Yin....some day. Gotta do something about these damned horns first, though................:laff:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.