1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Question About Cobs

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by blackpipe, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackpipe

blackpipe Member

first of all, I want to thank you guys for answering my questions and I now I ask alot of questions but you guys are really helpful. Now im having a bit of a problem with my cob, ive smoked : mcbaren honey and chocolate,trout stream,butternut burley and wo larsen in it.Its a nice pipe but the last couple of bowl I tried out of it taste just awful not like it used to.I clean it with a pipe clener after every smoke, I was wondering if you guys have any idea why my cob taste so bad and how can I fix it????

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

It sounds like you're smoking a lot of different types of tobaccos in the same pipe. The stronger ones will tend to "ghost" which means they leave behind some of their smell and flavor in the pipe. Many pipe smokers will dedicate a pipe to each main type of tobacco: Virginias, Aromatics and Latakia blends, in ascending order according to "ghosting strength". You can usually smoke a "stronger ghosting" tobacco after a weaker one in the same pipe, but not vice-versa.

You can remove a "ghost" by cleaning your pipe with alcohol (let it dry overnight afterwards) or simply smoking a few bowls of Prince Albert or Five Brothers. These are predominately burley blends which are fairly neutral in terms of ghosting. Cobs are usually inexpensive, so it might be a good idea to invest in two or three more so you have dedicated pipes and won't have to worry about "ghosting".

I hope this helps. Perhaps some of the more experienced members have better suggestions.

Bri2k

3. blackpipe

blackpipe Member

thanks for the help, ill have to buy more cobs

4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Also - until the wooden shank that sticks into the smoking chamber chars really well (say 5-8 smokes, minimum) a cob can taste like a cross between corn-on-the-cob and ass. I don't know who started the silly rumor that cobs need no break-in. :thumbsup:

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm guessing a cake of those devestatingly yucky aromatics is to blame. Honey'n'Chocolate leaves quite a ... stain.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

I'd say let the thing dry out properly between smokes, maybe even put it out to dry on a fresh sunny day with a light breeze - this really works.

Smoke some 5 Brothers in it that lays most ghosts!

Best meantime

Gerry

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Ohhhh man! Had coffee coming out my nose after reading that! :whistle: :cheers:

8. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

HAHA! Thank you! I knew it couldn't be just me thinking this. I'll add: never smoke a new cob on an empty stomach. It'll make you hungry for corn on the cob. :cheers:

9. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I don't know if you are smoking these different tobaccos back to back in your single pipe but if you are: stop. A cob has a reputation for not ghosting but there's no need to push it to the limit. Stick with one tobacco for the day or at least give it a few hours rest before changing. Fresh air and sunshine will cure a lot of ills in pipes as well as other things. I would also give it a gentle scrape of the knife if you are smoking a lot of "oily" blends. Not sure what the proper term is but some tobaccos build up more cake than others and a cob should be relatively cake-free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.