Question about Lane's MV1000

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bent, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bent

Bent Member

Normally, I am not very impressed with Lane's offerings. Recently, I had a chance to try the famous 1-Q and I have to admit I was very impressed, in fact I love it. There was a familiar flavor to the sweetness it has that wasn't quite vanilla, I didn't really pin point it until someone said "marshmellows" and that was spot on.

Now I'm wondering about MV1000, considering it's one of the 3 most popular bulk offerings from Lane (the other two being RLP-6 and 1-Q)

I was wondering if you could share some thought regarding MV1000 and your experience with it.

2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

MV-1000 is the bulk equivalent to Captain Black Gold, the Gold which I have smoked is a golden Virginia Cavendish with a light top note, and the sweetness from this blend is the Virginia, no flavored black Cavendish or Burley in this blend.

dmkerr likes this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

This.

4. Bent

Bent Member

So, smoking MV1000 or CBG interchangeably wouldn't really make that much of a difference?

5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I do not know about the CBG and MV-1000, but I have smoked both 1-Q and CBB and RLP-6 and CBW and I prefer the original CB pouch tobaccos better, the cut, presentation of the tobacco and the taste are better to my palate and I’m sure I would come to the same conclusion concerning MV-1000 and CBG.

6. dmkerr

If you're comparing a pouch of the Captain Black Gold to MV1000, I'd take the latter due to it having less preservative. In the tub, I don't think there's much if any difference, but those pouches need to stay fresh on the shelf for a long time in a contained that isn't airtight. Hence, the propylene glycol is heavier.

The tobacco itself should be essentially the same. Same blender, same recipe, just different containers.

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

My experience with the bulk blends is the exact opposite, especially with CBW and RLP-6, these two tobaccos have very different tastes to me as well as the room note and I have not found any of the CB blends to be overly laced with PG in the pouch, whereas the bulk blends especially 1-Q have been very moist when I purchased them.

8. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Ok so let me jump in here with a question. I first smoked CBW in the pouch because thats what my uncle smoked and didnt know any different. I am concerned about the PG. SOOOOOO. Go with the tub of CBW? or go for the RLP-6?

9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I prefer the CB pouch tobaccos, as I only smoke them every now and then as a change of pace and on rare occasion I will pick up an ounce or two of RLP-6 for a change from CBW. I am not a big aromatic fan but do enjoy a sweet tobacco from time to time.

10. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Thanks! I too have wandered away from the aros until Rugg got me to try SWRA. THen I tried a B&M blend called General Longstreet from Gettysburg tobacco shop which I found out was really Altadis's All Day Long. That got me to thinking about the aros again...

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I also like SWRA on occasion if it's fresh and not dried out in the pouch.

12. dmkerr

Yep - exact opposite. My litmus test for PG-soaked blends is how quickly they dry out when exposed to air. The bulk blends are fairly slow but the CB blends take forever! That makes sense, because the pouch blends have to be preserved in case they stay on the shelves for months prior to the time they're purchased while the bulk blends always came to my pipeshop in those 5-lb hermetically sealed bags... the kind I can't open with just my hands and I never seemed to be able to find the bloody scissors to open them when I needed to! :D

cobbsmoker and MakDragon like this.
  13. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

What ^^^^^^ said.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.