1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Latkia

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Scottly, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottly

Scottly Member

Howdy folks, there are some baccys I would like to try especially Walnut that have Lat in them. My only experience with latkia was with Nightcap, which made me throw that cob away-YUCK are all blends with lat in them going to taste like nightcap kinda or not.
    I hear great things about Walnut all the time and being a big Middleton fan would like to try it, but I'm leary to say the least. Your thoughts are very much appreciated, THANKS

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Walnut has considerably less latakia than Nightcap.

Latakia tends to be an acquired taste. Many smokers have never acquired it and are quite content to smoke blends that don't contain this condiment. There's certainly no shame in not liking it.

3. jeff394

jeff394 Member

From what I gather, Nightcap is one of the town bullies when it comes to strength, and that tends to turn some pipe smokers away who may not be used to such a nic hit. It also contains perique, a spice tobacco which may not appeal to everyone. I've never tried it, but there seems to be no middle ground with Nightcap. Walnut seems to be very well appreciated, as are most of the Middleton tobaccos.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

Believe it or not but: I have never had Nightcap!!!!!! Don't ask me why because I'm a Dunhill man through and through:oops:!
    You could give Dunhill 965 a try. It's my all-time-favourite.
    Early Morning Pipe's quite nice as well!

5. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

Just bought a tin of Nightcap the other day. Havent opened it. Bought it at recommendation of many here. I do like Latakia but it is true. It is an acquired taste.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Walnut is heavenly and contains a correct amount of latakia to where it makes the whole of the blend better .Some other blends just contain a butt load of latakia . There are some nice English blends out there to be sure , though I'm with you on Nightcap . Give walnut a shot ... it's nothing like Nightcap . MB Solent is a nice soft blend w/ a little latakia and is a fantastic blend to intro latakia .

RTOdhner likes this.
  7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of Lat-Bombs (blends with a heavy latakia content), but MacB Vintage Syrian is an exception. It uses the Syrian strain instead of the Cyprian strain, which I think is smokier and more refined, and it is heavenly stuff. However, most of the time I prefer that the Latakia be applied with a light hand. Middleton's Walnut is one such blend, and I think it is a blend of inspired genius - the fact that it's actually an OTC makes the victory even sweeter. MacB Solent Mixture and MacB Plum Cake are two other blends that have a nice light application of Latakia. Go just a tad heavier on the Latakia, and you'll find that Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme and Stokkebye Balkan Supreme are waiting in the wings to wisk you away to Pipe Nirvana. Then there is always SG Squadron Leader... good luck finding it, though.

Incidently, these are all available in bulk or tub form, and at excellent prices. (I'm not sure if you can get Squadron leader in bulk, but it doesn't really matter since it's so damn hard to find).

8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

To my knowledge Walnut is not available in pouches. You might want to get 2 oz of an English bulk blend at your local B & M to see if you like baccy with a bit of Lat before you get 32 oz (or however large the tub is) of Walnut.

9. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

You can order a smaller sampler of Walnut at 4Noggins, I got my 2 oz sample a couple weeks ago & have enjoyed it quite a bit...it's a great blend, and I'm really glad I was able to sample it without buying a full tub of it.

Scottly likes this.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Bingo ..... There ya go ! A oz sample . It's their service to mankind

11. Scottly

Scottly Member

Thanks alot folks, looks like a sample is in order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.