1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Question About New Bjarne

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dean320, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dean320

dean320 Member

I bought a Viking Classic and my first smoke with it went really well. The question comes from when I cleaned it. It was harder to clean than any of my other pipes due to the inside of the bowl. It was new and never smoked and it had a coating on the inside of the bowl that was a little rubbery. It was there before I smoked but I didn't think anything of it.

I was thinking of getting that all out and letting it build its cake normally.

Any other Bjarne owners experience this? Any suggestions?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You certainly CAN sand or scrape the factory coating out. I never noticed it to be problematic in Bjarnes (never thought it had a funny taste or detracted from the smoke), but I generally prefer to cake a pipe on clean walls.

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

How did the factory coating make it harder to clean? Unless it somehow gooped up and made the airway narrower I don't see how it could have caused a problem.

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

That's a pre-coating a lot of pipe makers put in their pipe bowls to protect the bowls during the break in period. You can swab the bowl with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol them ream with a wadded up paper towel to remove most of it or just dry ream it with a paper towel after you smoke it to remove any excess coating.

5. Old Mr. Wilson

Old Mr. Wilson Member

I have two Bjarne Viking Classics. One is a large bent Pear with a Poker Butt briar if you can envision that. The other is a RUFFFF Sandblasted Calabash briar. The latter may be my best smoking pipe. The former's finish actually "bubbled" on me at the first smoke. I guess I got it too hot. But all in all they are fine pipes and I did not experience what you describe. My Dad used to smear honey along the walls for the first few smokes and I've done it too. I don't know about isopropyl. I've used that in fiber optic use and I just don't know if I could do that, but there are far more experienced on this forum than I. Wilson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.