Question about pipe dedication

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by xfrench91x, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfrench91x

xfrench91x Member

I have a question related to pipe dedication but not about pipe dedication at the same time lol. Sorry if that is confusing. I am new to pipe smoking but definatly not to tobacco. I have one pipe that is a budget briar italian pipe but I feel smokes really well. I eventually want to buy more pipes and possibly start a collection. Since I am only a month or so versed in tobacco pipes I wan't to make my mistakes on this pipe I have before I buy better pipes. My problem is that I have only smoked Aromatics in my pipe thus far. (My tobacconist reccomended them for new pipe smokers) However, I want to try some Virginia blends. I am afraid of ruining future smokes/ getting a skewd flavor out of my briar if I mix the Aromatics with Virginias. I know that it is common practice to dedicate pipes based on preference but I am not ready to add more pipes yet. Will I possibly ghost my briar if I do so? or should I continue with the Aro until i'm ready to buy a new pipe.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Well, I only have a few briars and prefer cobs for most of my smokes, with the exception of Latakia blends. Most times, for me, if I smoke an aromatic outta one of my briars, and wanna smoke, say a va/per flake, and then switch back, I've found that smoking a bowl of CH or PA between tends to kinda scare off the ghosties. Latakia blends, and from what I've heard, Lakeland blends, are the exception to that. I do have one briar that I smoke English/Balkans out of exclusively. But, for me, most the time, I smoke aro's outta cobs, cause they do it cooler, and far more absorbantly then a briar, and they are cheap to boot. Most aro's are either cavendished burley, cavendished virginia, or a blend of those, so alittle simple virginia won't do them any harm.. And as long as you get a previously smoked aromatics flavor out of the pipe, via a bowl of CH or PA, it'll smoke a virginia, or a vabur, or a vaper, just fine.

ol gto and RTOdhner like this.
  3. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Just go for it mate, a ghost of something you've been enjoying isn't too bad in my book. Just adds to the plavour :)

ol gto, RTOdhner and AK Kilted Guy like this.
  4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

BUY MORE COBS!

HCraven, dgerwin11, Lestrade and 3 others like this.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

For 25 years I dedicated my favorite pipe to one blend. A couple of years ago decided to smoke all my blends in all my pipes. Some purists frown on that sort of slap dash lack of policy and they claim they notice nuances that are adversely missing or added but I really can't notice any difference. Unless you smoke a blend that is notorious for ghosting a pipe I doubt you will either. Pipe smoking is all about enjoyment. If you enjoy being anal about things, by all means dedicate a pipe to a blend or a type of tobacco. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

ol gto, RTOdhner, TRAVIS and 3 others like this.
  6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

+1

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I think that people can get kind of carried away on the dedication thing. Lakeland blends need a dedicated pipe. Latakia blends need a dedicated pipe. Heavy aromatics (especially cherry blends) need a dedicated pipe. Aside from those types of blends, I'm not all that convinced that pipes need to be dedicated to particular blends. Then, again, I tend to prefer one dimensional blends that go long on comfortable relaxation and short on required attention to nuance.

jkstewart1, dgerwin11, Darkly and 2 others like this.
  8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

My thought would be not to sweat it...that ghosts are no big deal. But since you're looking to learn how VA's compare to aromatics you should use an unghosted pipe. A cob is the ticket. Cheap, you won't hafta bother waiting to acquire one(or several). I think cobs suit VA's better than briar anyhow!

9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

All my cobs are dedicated to OTC Burley blends! No ghosts, just awesomeness! :ohyh:

dgerwin11 and RTOdhner like this.
  10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Yeah, what ^ said.

Or, you may just wanna go ahead and smoke some va's in your I. Taly pipe (which usually do smoke nice. Basket status or not!) ;)

You may like the ghost! Not all ghosts are bad to where they mess up the smoke experience.

Ed
    Puff

RTOdhner likes this.
  11. xfrench91x

xfrench91x Member

I really appriciate all the info. I definatly will pick up a cob or two. Pretty interested in trying one out. Thanks everyone!

12. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Mars and aristocob are the best places for them.. and make sure you get Missouri Meerschaum if you are from US. Best quality that way.

MacNutz and Motard like this.
  13. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

+2

14. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

I never worry about ghost flavors. What determines the tabak/pipe combo for me is what tobacco I feel like smoking in whatever pipe I feel like smoking it out of. Of course I am a bit of a weirdo and feel like if I enjoy a tobacco's flavor it won't hurt for me to taste a bit of it in a different tobacco.

15. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

In a nutshell. :ohyh:

dgerwin11 likes this.
  16. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

What he said.

Sent using Forum Runner

17. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

I use to dedicate my pipes but it started to take the enjoyment away. Other than Ennerdale Flake and 1792 Flake, I'll smoke whatever I want out of any pipe. This allows me to enjoy any particular pipe with any tobacco and removes the handcuffs of being too anal with the hobby.

RTOdhner likes this.
  18. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I smoke anything in anything. Seldom more than two or three bowls in a row of the same tobby in any single pipe. Aside from Ennerdale, I've never had an adverse effect. On second thought, one pipe did have a slight ghost from MacB Vanilla Cream Flake once, and for only one bowl.

19. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Yeah, what he said. Get yourself a couple of Missouri Meerschaum pipes from Aristocob or Mars

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.