Question about planta danish black vanilla

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by lowlytech, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowlytech

lowlytech Member

New pipe smoker here and I have had a great time trying all the blends out there and enjoying reading all the posts here at PSF. I have gone through probably 15 different blends, several being very good vanillas, but just hit a huge bump in the road with this Planta black vanilla mixture. I have 3 tins of this which I have opened 2 mainly cause I thought the first one was bad. There is quite a bit of rust around the inner seal of both tins that can only be detected after it has been opened. The smell is not vanilla but a very stought sour smell that I can't even describe. It doesn't smoke any differently than the smell either. Kinda like a sour warhead is what it tastes like, very potent. Not quite sure what to think, and was hopeing someone had tried this blend and can confirm this. I can't see how it would be called vanilla with a taste like this but thought I would check nontheless before I tossed them. I have tried this in 3 different pipes I have, all with the same result.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I love a good black cavendish/vanilla tobacco. And there are a few. But Planta's DBV is not one - if you look at tobaccoreviews.com you'll see the same thing - it's like a death vortex of tongue bite and sh1tty taste. Toss'em, mix'em, or trade 'em off, but I don't think you're that far off with your assessment.

3. lowlytech

lowlytech Member

Thanks for the confirmation Sasquatch. I am currently on a quest to find my favorite vanilla tobacco. Which vanilla blends are the best in your book? I am about to try the A21000 dunhill vanilla today. 1Q and BCA has probably been the best to me to date.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Mac Baren makes pretty decent tasting Vanilla tobaccos, one is mixture (Vanilla Cream Loose Cut I think) and one is a flake (Vanilla Cream Flake). These have a definite vanilla taste, are fairly sweet, and don't turn into steamy goo at the bottom of the pipe bowl. My wife thought the loose cut smelled like cotton candy.

IF you look at tobaccoreviews.com, a couple others stand out - Tobacco Barn's Vanilla Fudge and Tinder Box's Black Vanilla Cavendish get 4 stars (not many reviews though....).

The Lane blends you mention are certainly decent too, and there's other mixtures that are vanilla/chocolate or vanilla/orange or whatever as well.

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi everyone!
    A few months back I had a tin of "The Banker's" tobacco... the biggest pile of crap I ever smoked! I threw the tobacco away after just three bowls!
    Only a bit later did I discover that the blender was, lo and behold: Planta!
    So far I have never, ever had a decent smoke out of anything that Planta has produced! That also includes the Vanilla Blend I had many years ago.
    For me Planta is a definite No-No!!!!

6. lowlytech

lowlytech Member

Sounds great, I have both the Macbaren loose cut and flake vanilla waiting to be opened. I will report back after I have tried all and see which one faired best with me. Wish I had known about planta before now cause I think I have a tin of that banker's somewhere in my stash too.

shadow likes this.
  7. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi again!
    The thing is that there was no blender-name on the tin, just The Banker's, Petersen & Sorensen, which I thought was the maker.
    If I had known that Planta was behind it I would have never bought it!:mad:

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I bought one tin of Planta Black cav Vanilla and after two bowls, the remains are in a jar.....glad I did not buy more. Its just not for me as well as many pipers it appears.

Ed
    Puff

Lane BCA runs circles around Planta BVC, price, burn, flavor, you name it!

shadow likes this.
  9. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Altadis makes a bulk blend called Creme Brullee that is Heaven. It is on the moist side and a bit sticky with all the sugar in it, but I'm a newbie and I never had a problem with it smoking hot or biting. The blend is sweet vanilla custard and you can even taste the carmalized topping. The roomnote is fantastic! It's my favorite aro yet, that and Chocolate Mousse.:D

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

You're spot on there! I still remember my first ever Planta "mistake". I only bought the tin because it had a handy indentation in the lid for putting your pipe down:bag:

11. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Unless there is a similarly named blend out there, I think The Banker's is from James J. Fox, which very well might be produced by Planta these days. Isn't that a cigar leaf blend? I've been wanting to try some Fox weed (Dorisco Mixture, specifically), but if Planta has quality issues, I may have to pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.