1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for frequent flyers!?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Robert leslie, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert leslie

Robert leslie Member

I don't fly all that often, but I am flying to Tampa on business next week. With all the security and tsa crap, will I have a problem with bringing my pipes? Better yet, what will happen with my tobacco in a zip lock bag? Just curious.
    Robert

2. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

I've flown 5-6 times in the last year and have not had a problem with pipes or tobacco. I think matches are a no-go. Also a pipe tool that resembles a pocket knife may cause issues.

Have a good trip!

Hawkwood and Robert leslie like this.
  3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

If you are checking your baggage, you should be fine...

Robert leslie likes this.
  4. Robert leslie

Robert leslie Member

Never thought about The pipe tool, great advice.

5. brumoon

brumoon Member

Haven't flown for a couple of years, but had a lighter confiscated the last trip. I think if you check your bag you'll be all right.

6. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

No problem with pipes or a Brebbia pipe nail or my pipes. I don't take my Zippo inserts, just the empty cases (or pick up a cheap lighter at my destination). I put tobacco in a factory tin, I think a ziploc baggie looks a little suspicious. They never look twice at my pipes or tobacco tins. I travel with a digital restaurant thermometer that has a fold-out 6" spike, that also never gets a 2nd look.

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Flew during Thxgiving, and my Bic,
    pouch of St. B, and Falcon all made
    it through in my carry on. My toby
    was in a ziploc baggie.

Edited to add: my Snake tamper
    also made it through in my carry on.

8. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Just for reference: Within Europe, I've travelled several times with golf tees, zip-lock bags of tobacco, and bic-type butane lighters all in the carry-on luggage. I've had no problems at any airport. I never tried any other pipe tools or zippo lighters. I suspect it's very different for flying in the US.

9. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I dont know if I could have risked taking St. Bruno if it where me flying...and I had some St. Bruno. I dont know if I could handle them confiscating the tobacco, and tossing it in the trash...I would most likely collapse right there...

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

LOL
    Everyone can carry up to
    250 grams without issue.

11. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Torch lighters, lighter fluid and strike anywhere matches are a no go, but I've traveled with a BIC lighter both in my pocket and in my carry on, with no issues. If you're worried, just check it. I used to keep mine on my outside zipped pocket on my suitcase so I could grab it once I had my luggage.

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I fly a lot and never had a problem with pipes, tobacco or a nail style tamper. Last May, I came home from the Chicago pipe show with several pipes and about 1.5 lbs of tobacco- no problem.

Edit:
    I always carry on as well! I can't stand list luggage and list pipes are even worse than lost clothes. No issues with the load from Chicago even being carried on.

13. Robert leslie

Robert leslie Member

I am doing the carry on, thanks everyone for the sound advice. I feel better now knowing that I am not going to get almost arrested for drug smuggling!!

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if you try to go through that body scanner with a belt on, they will throw you on the floor and cavity search you! :eek:

15. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I've never had a problem with pipe and baccy in a carry on. I did have a pipe knife confiscated on my last deployment though, and me in uniform with CAC card displayed......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.