1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about falcons

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by bluepipe, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Hello everyone,

I have been looking at the falcon pipes and found out that they make a model called International. It looks more traditional than the rest of the metal stems and I though why not give falcons a try? - they are cheep enough.

So how do they work? The hole of the bowl is at the very bottom and the smoke goes through a chamber under the bowl - am I right? In that chamber there is a "dry ring" which looks like a pipe cleaner in a circle. That picks up moisture. Is that all there is? Plus an optional filter in the stem?

The threads on the briar bowls, do they get damaged when you screw in and out the ball after every smoke to clean the pipe?

There are two kinds of bowls the standard and classic range. Are the classics larger bowls? (they are a bit more expensive)

Since the bowl is the only part of the pipe made of wood, can I just rest the bowls and use the same pipe every day?

Thanks

bluepipe

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

step forward Gerry!...you're on next! :eek:hyeah:

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

There are more experienced Falcon owners here; that said, I tend to use my Falcon more than any other pipe I own. The main reason is one you mentioned: repeatability. The stem can be cleaned and reused immediately. (Unless hot, I guess.) I have two bowls for mine, and yet seem to use the smaller one 2+ times a day. Most days, anyway. With a quick clean and wipe, I suspect a Falcon could be a solitary pipe for a smoker. I have reused a bowl 3,4 times in a day, cleaned it up, and reused the next day with no issues.

I don't know about the International version, but the regular does have a 'well' under the bowl (a 'humidome') that does hold moisture and gunk. Unscrew the bowl after a smoke and wipe it out. I don't bother with dry rings, since a quick cleaning squares it away.

The wooden threads are stout. I suppose a 'tipsy' hand could cross thread it, but it doesn't seem likely to me. (Should add I'm tipsy most all the time...)

Sorry I can answer all your questions with authority, but I will say this...A Falcon, regardless of incarnation, is a pipe worth having. My .02

-Kyle

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

The Classic range of bowl comprises three shapes Istanbul, Snifter and Hyperbole - they are available in smooth, rustic and meerschaum lined. These bowls are larger than the standard size bowls, but are fully interchangeable between the International, Standard and Extra range of stems.

There are eight bowls in the standard size range Apple, Dublin (straight pot), Algiers, Genoa, Dover Plymouth Bulldog and Billiard. Though counted as Standard Size, Billiard and Bulldog actually hold a little less tobacco. Again they are available in smooth, rustic, and meerschaum lined as well as the blonde Hunter Series. Occasionally you will still come across the smaller Bantam size bowls - 4 in the series - but they are no longer made. Again all these are interchangeable with the International series stems.

The International Falcons, despite their looks work exactly the same as a standard Falcon - but they are noticeably heavier. The tobacco is burned in a briar bowl, the smoke condenses droplets of goo into the humidome and the smoke is reportedly further cooled as it makes its way up the stem.

Though not strictly necessary you can use dry rings with both the International series and other Falcons, but the International is also designed to take a filter - again you do not have to use it.

The International was designed to look more like a normal pipe with its brown ABS heat dispersing coating and gold effect band. I have no long term experience of these but know a standard will last 30+ years with reasonable care.

The mouthpiece on the Standard and Extra does not come off. Attempting to take it off writes off the guarantee. Because the International was designed as a filter pipe the mouthpiece is intended to come off.

You may occasionally come across Alco pipes and Brentford pipes made by Falcon - Falcon Standard and Classic bowls do not fit these.

Cleaning a Falcon consists of removing the bowl after each smokes and cleaning out the humidome with a tissue and running a narrow pipe cleaner through that day's pipe at night. Taking a Falcon apart after a night in the pub with evil companions is not recommened - cross threading is the best way I know to write off a bowl.

Those are the main points - further information in my "Some Notes on the Falcon Pipe" on this Forum,

Hope this helps

Gerry

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Beat me to it, mate. :thumb:

As always, Gerry come through
    in spades! :bow:

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I do try Lads! Why, even my first wife said I was very trying!

Best as ever

Gerry

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

No reason not to rest a bowl if it gets too damp but you can almost use the same bowl all day, every day. It is pretty hard to get a Falcon bowl soggy since the heel of the pipe, the normal spot for moisture accumulation, is metal, not wood.

8. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Thank you all very much for the replies. Gerry I was sure you would share you expertise with up, thank you very much.

Do you have any aproximate dimentions of the classic and standard bowls?

Also how much heavier is the international? I don't really like the looks of the metal falcons and if I am getting one it will be the international.

Thanks

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi Again,

Just holding a standard Facon and an International in my hand at present I'd guess the International is nearly twice the weight and my International has a Cobber Corncob bowl fitted to it. I'll weigh them tomorrow once I find the kitchen scales and come back to you.

Don't let this put you off; the International is a great looker and if you had either the bent model or the one with the curved mouthpiece the balance would be fine for clenching - doesn't matter to me, I dont clench.

An Algiers bowl is about 1.5" tall and 4/5" across at the top - so Dover Plymouth and Genoa will be about the same - roughly the size of an MM Diplomat bowl. No experience of the Classic sizes - they were never polular in the UK due to the price of tobacco -judging by the leaflet maybe half the height again as a Standard.

Best again

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.