Questions about new pipe

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by xmacro, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xmacro

xmacro Member

Well, I'm currently nearing the bottom after putting my new pipe through it's paces; packed a full bowl and am currently smoking it down to the ashes. So a few more questions:

- it looks like I charred the wood around the rim a little bit, the inside of the lip, maybe half an inch or so; is this normal? I used a xikar EX lighter, a soft flame, and there are several cracks on the rim, maybe half an inch of cracked wood that looks like charred wood, and I'm rather scared I just harmed my new pipe. The char is on the right side, the same side I light my bowl from and the side that the flame is pulled down from the lighter
    - Pipe smokes beuatifully; no problems so far
    - here's an image of the piipe: [​IMG]

The pipe itself is almost as tall as the stem; the part of the stem that sticks out on the back atually touches my chin when I hold it in my mouth, which is rather annoying - is this normal? Is the stem aesthetic, or is the design intentional, telling me to hold the pipe with my hand?

- Should I wipe down the inside with a paper towle like I do with my meers, or just leave it alone?

- final thought - this pipe is HUGE - the bowl is 2 inches deep, and I've been out here for 2 hrs, smoking, trying to get it down to the ashes!! Beautiful pipe, and wonderful smoke, though for such a long smoke, I'm more than a bit light-headed from the nic

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Sounds like you're starting to break in a "chin rester", nothing out of the ordinary, build up some cake and smoke on. Can you get a better pic of the "cracks" you mentioned?

3. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Definitely send some pics of the cracking you mentioned, that shouldn't happen.

To answer one inquiry, just dump the ashes, give it a gentle scrape with a Czech tool if you have one and work on building up a nice even cake in it. May want to make a couple short loads to get a bit of cake at the bottom to match the rest.. just a suggestion.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It's possible that with such a big bowl you lit it and smoked it a little hot for awhile, not realizing that your combustion temperature was a bit high. I daresay the pipe will survive, but make sure you're not hauling away at that sucker.

5. xmacro

xmacro Member

Here are some pics; the charring is only on the right side, the side I use my lighter on since I'm right-handed. I've smoked the pipe only once

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So is the damage aesthetic, or will it affect the pipe? Will it stay that way or spread?

6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Spit on a finger, rub, a lot of that will come off. However, you def had your lighter cooking that rim a few times. Perhaps switch to matches, or a regular old lighter, not an arc-welder.

7. xmacro

xmacro Member

It was a xikar EX, a soft flame lighter

8. Spillproof

Oops, sorry. I was just trying to make you laugh; hope I didn't offend.

9. xmacro

xmacro Member

Nah, just worried I screwed up my new pipe is all; I didn't get the joke :p

10. Spillproof

As far as rim char goes, that is easily addressed through sanding and re-staining if you want to go there. However, staining a rim only makes it hard to color match the rest of the finish in my (rather limited) experience.

11. xmacro

xmacro Member

So leaving it as-is won't cause problems? Is the charred area more vulnerable to further damage?

12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Try lighting your tobacco with the lighter over the bowl instead of crossing the rim with it to light your bowl, that's what it looks like to me.

Spillproof likes this.
  13. Spillproof

I have purchased a few estates with charred rims. I fix them (sand and restain) before smoking them; that's all I can really add. I don't know what (*if any) additional damage may be done as-is. But I do know LOTS of folks smoke a pipe with a charred rim.

14. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

All my cobs have charred rims and lots of character! :ohyh:

15. xmacro

xmacro Member

Ah, that puts my mind at ease; thanks a lot guys!! For awhile, I was scared that the cracks I caused by charring the rim would spread with time and eventually split the pipe, but if it's just aesthetic (or if it'll take 50 yrs to crack), I'm ok with that

16. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The charred area is already burnt - it can't burn more, really, and it will now protect the virgin briar underneath, so I'd say leave it. But you are definitely burning hot or keeping the lighter there too long.

17. xmacro

xmacro Member

Much appreciated; I've changed my lighting techniques, lighting it above the bowl instead of to the side and then moving it over, and so far, haven't had any more problems

18. Locopony

Locopony Member

Try lighting some slivers of wood and use the slivers to light the pipe. Works great for me. Its easy to whip out the ole pocket knife and whittle off a nice long sliver wood light it with the lighter. Then light your pipe with the lit sliver. Makes lighter last longer too. If the poke is long enought I save it by dropping it in the baccy for later use. Or put it in ya shirt pocket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.