1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions From A Newbe

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Gradog, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gradog

Gradog Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Here are some questions from a Green Horn.
    I seem to have a problem with Virginian tobaccos biting. Are there any to look for that bite less than others. I like the English blends and they all seem to have a base of Virginians.
    I saw a tobacco that caught my interest ( Guys #25 English blend ) but cant find the web sight for the seller. Affordable Pipes And Cigars.
    At the present time I have 3 pipes. A corn cob, a wood from MM and a bent brier. I seem to notice that my pipes smoke better (to me)if I fill them only to about 75% to the top. Is this common.
    I notice that some smokers of English blends don't care for Burly. Why?
    This forum is the best thing that ever happened to pipe smoking. Saves time money and gray hair. AlthoughGetting
    I'm in too late for the gray hair.
  2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Jan 7, 2010
    a new briar pipe usually has to be broken in first, a process which takes 20 to 50 bowls, since briar is a natural product, some can be broken in faster that others.

breaking-in allows the briar to reach its "prime" smoking state and also allows the bowl to build up a layer of cake inside.

as you smoke, the moisture in the tobacco condenses and it is the absorptive quality of the briar and the cake which allows the smoke to continue to taste sweet.

while the pipe is not broken in yet, it's true (as you've discovered) that the absorptive capacity of the pipe is not yet at its optimum state, so better to smoke 1/2 or 3/4 bowls initially.

P.S. you may get more replies if you re-post your questions in the "pipe smoking tips" section of the forum.
  3. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

Sep 25, 2009
    It is quite common for a smoker who is new to Virginias to get tongue bite. Virginias need to be smoked slowly and many smokers (especially new folks) puff them too fast... which is a major contributor to tongue bite.

The English baccys are not full VAs so they are less inclined to bite if smoked too quickly.
  4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    You might want to try some Orlick Golden Sliced or McClelland #5100 both are very good introductory Virginia tobaccos and I also posted a thread on how to enjoy Virginia tobaccos that may help, do a search.
  5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Nov 27, 2009
    The first Virginia that I tried was McBarens Virginia #1. Not knowing any better, I smoked it the same as all the other tobacco I'd tried. My tongue still hasn't forgiven me.
    Try smoking at least half as fast as you do others...barely sip and taste the flavors...and it should be a big improvement.
    I agree with the recomendation for MC 5100. It is a very good starting point for learning how to puff on Virginias.
    I have noticed that some smokers tend to treat Burley like a step-child. Burley is just different from Virginia. It doesn't have as much sugar, it doesn't improve much with aging, and it has more of a "nut" taste than what they may prefer. That said, I still smoke more Burley blends than anything else and go to the others for a change of pace.
  6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Reassuring Bovine Moderation Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
    BURLEY CLAPTRAP: Common drugstore tobaccos like Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall, Half & Half, etc. are burley blends. Some otherwise very decent pipe smokers amuse themselves by mocking their burley-smoking friends who are slumming it day-in and day-out with $2.00 pouches from Walgreens or Smokey Jane's Tobacco & Incense Outlet.

if that isn't reason enough to mock a brother...

Many aromatic tobacco blends at burley based, particularly the uber-flavored, uber-moist, chemical-aftertaste vanilla or wintergreen varieties like, say... well, I won't say because a dear friend here smokes that crap, D'oh! I mean, that unusual blend of inexpensive yet fragrant elements. Burley is also the key element of cigarettes and, sometimes, a burley filled pipe may remind an ex-cig guy (like me) of the bad old days of sucking down Marlboros and Pall Malls.

Fact is, there's nothing wrong with burley pipe tobacco per se. It's just a taste you like (usually called "nutty") or not. I think pipe smokers will agree that a $4.00 corncob pipe and a $2.00 pouch of Prince Albert is a classic American combination that nearly all of us have experienced (and savored) at one time or another. We agree also will agree you should like what you smoke and smoke what you like. Exception: Mixture 79. Put your nose close to the screen and inhale when you see a post by Jesla. You'll know what I mean. Hope this is helpful - somewhat tongue in check but mostly reliable. [​IMG]

Lovely burley - Nash County, NC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.