1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions with regaurds to taste and resting my pipe.

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by NamelessHobo, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NamelessHobo

NamelessHobo Member

Hey, guys.
    I'm stuck out here in Afghanistan, and I only have access to two pipes, (Broke a good clay one I had) one plastic/metal bowl drug store 'thing' and a Kaywoodie I managed to grab on my way out of the US. The Kaywoodie is a great pipe, and I love to smoke it, but I worry that I may smoke it too much. I'm trying to build up a cake, so I've only been smoking half bowls, but I'm wondering how bad I need to rest it? I've been letting it sit for a day between every bowl I smoke, which sucks, because I have to use the hot/gurgly/not fun to smoke junk if I want to smoke. I've been told a few different things with regards to letting it sit, one person has told me that 12 hours will be long enough of a time for a bowl or two, and one person has told me regardless, one day per bowl smoked. Wondering if I could get some opinions with what to do?
    I'm trying to get another few decent pipes, but it takes a month for mail to get to me after my wife sends it, or longer, not counting the time it takes for something to get to her.

Another thing I'm wondering, I've got about 7 ounces of a Tewksbury sampler, and the taste isn't very strong for any of the tobaccos, except for the Latakia-full Celtic blend. I'm curious if this is normal? I honestly can't really determine much difference between any of the tobaccos, other than Celtic Blend, and even then, sometimes it tastes so weak I can't distinguish much flavor. Is this a skill I can work on developing? Maybe I should pack more loosely? Does it have anything to do with the stinger in my Kaywoodie? I only smoked Celtic in the clay pipe I had, and I never had an issue with not tasting the tobacco.

2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Welcome and thank you for your service!
    Y0u can smoke a couple of bowls a day in that KW, providing you keep it as dry as possible. Hope you have a fair supply of pipe cleaners, cuz you should run one through it after every bowl. You should also dry ream the bowl with a paper towel once the pipe cools. This will slow the cake process, but better that than having a soggy pipe.
    Your situation isn't the best, but you won't hurt your pipe if you are diligent in keeping it as dry as possible under the circumstances.

I can't comment on the tobaccos....not familiar with them. Your pipe should draw filled, just a bit harder than empty. If it's harder to draw, you might be packing too tight. Best I can describe it in words kiddo....experiment with the pack, tamp lightly when you do...just enough to settle the ash. Are these aromatic blends or....?
    HTH a bit.

3. NamelessHobo

NamelessHobo Member

Yeah, I have a few hundred good pipe cleaners, and a ton of the ones we're issued for weapon's cleaning.
    They're all aromatic except for the Celtic Blend, which is billed as a "spicey English blend."

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

There was a time when I smoked the same pipe all day, cleaned it, and then let it rest for five days or so. I have enough pipes nowadays that I just smoke them once, but I have found no difference in the pipe's behavior between the two methods. Two pipes, though, is not enough. You might find corncobs to be ideal for your situation, as they are inexpensive, resistant to damage, and lightweight. Mars Cigars ships to APOs and has cobs starting at about three bucks. You could get a seven-day rotation for 20-35 dollars and be pleased with their smokability, I'm sure. If you'd like me to send you some, PM me your address.

I don't know the tobacco you're smoking, but lack of flavor usually means smoking too hot (too fast). That's a common mistake for beginning pipe smokers, and I know I sure did it. Still do sometimes when I'm not thinking about what I'm doing.

TRAVIS likes this.
  5. Peach21

Peach21 Member

Excellent idea about the cobs

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Many aros have a heavy topping, so they tend to have little tobacco flavor...covered by the fruity topping. Sounds like you would fare better with English, Burley or Virginia tobaccos, especially if you were or are a cigarette smoker.
    Cobs are a quick and easy way to augment your rotation and give your brier a decent rest. They are cheap but give a good quality smoke...perfect for your situation. +1 for Mars. Mike is a supporter of our boys-n-girls overseas.
    Take care over there!

7. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I would echo the idea that cobs are a good cheap way to have more pipes in your situation. Cheap enough that getting lost in your currently unsettled circumstances, or tied up in the mail, is not a tragedy. They are also great for trying lots of different kinds of tobaccos.

I'm a recent convert from cigarettes to the true tobacco. :) I liked the English/Balkan stye tobaccos right away because I find them mild but definitely real tobacco taste.

Smoking Gun likes this.
  8. NamelessHobo

NamelessHobo Member

I think it's definitely a problem with my method, because I am not really even tasting the fruity topping. I think I may have found the problem, in reading a guide on another website. "Try sipping the pipe, not gulping," or something to that effect. I'm going to try controlling my intake a bit better and see if that improves the taste.
    Definitely leaning on English blends, for now, at least.

I can definitely reflect the sentiments on smoking real tobacco, though.

9. DanielO

DanielO Member

When I was introduced to the wide variety of pipe tobaccos out there (as opposed to just PA and CH, which was all I could get locally) I found it helpful to explore one type at a time. I started with Englishes, moved to VAs and VA/Pers, and now I have moved on to Burley. Burley is by far my favorite, perhaps due to all the PA in my past :). That way you get tuned in to the experience of one type of tobacco and can really experience the different blends rather than having your palette confused by a cacophony of "stuff." Oh, I recently tried aros too, but other than 1Q, didn't care for them too much.

10. DocB

DocB Active Member

Smoke more cobs... And slow down.
    Cup O' Joes- 7-10 days and the order is there. Same with Smoking Pipes... It surely doesn't take a month, unless you are on a COP.

11. NamelessHobo

NamelessHobo Member

Yeah, I'm on a COP. About 8 Ks from the paki border. We don't even get mail every ten days. More or less, our CLPs seem to be scheduled for "whenever the DFAC gets critically low," heh.
    ETA: I've been waiting on a box of stuff my Wife sent me for over a month, at this point. Such is life in the middle of nowhere.

12. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

You have a DFAC? That would have been nice when I was there. Hang in there, before you know it you'll be heading home

13. DocB

DocB Active Member

Yeah, Paktika Province... You ripped out with one of my boys out there. You better just be pipe-smokin in the bunker Brother...:th1:

14. NamelessHobo

NamelessHobo Member

I don't know if I did, you talking about a guy from 82nd?
    I've never got to hop in a bunker, I got that wonderful MOS where you have to go out and stand by a howitzer under fire. That's tons of fun.

Yeah, Ssg, there's a DFAC here. Not much of one, but better than eating MREs.

15. DocB

DocB Active Member

Yes, the 82nd

16. NamelessHobo

NamelessHobo Member

Small world, isn't it? Always interesting to run into friends of friends.

17. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

If you need more briars or cobs,let us know im sure a few of us could send you more after all you are protecting us,and thank you.

ol gto likes this.
  18. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

All the above advice is spot on. Take care of yourself out there and get home safe. We need as many pipe smokers here on Earth as we possibly can!!!:bing:

19. NamelessHobo

NamelessHobo Member

Thanks for the offer, Colorduke, but I'd feel bad taking free stuff

Calpipe: I fully intend to come back, and spread the disease; I've got three people here interested in pipes lately. It's a wonderful thing.

20. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

It's not free,it would be a gift and a thank you for your service to our country.Wasn't there a program awhile back pipes for the troops or something like that?I can't supply the troops but i can at least get you a cob or 2 or a grabow and send your way as a thank you for all your sacrifices you have made for us.Send me a pm.Its time we american pipesmokers step up to the plate for all our troops overseas.

ol gto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.