1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick fix for carbon?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by DocB, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocB

DocB Active Member

I picked up a couple of estate pipes on the bay, nothing fancy at all. I am just hoping to get a couple of good-smoking yard pipes fixed up. They have significant carbon build-up, to the point that the chamber is "conical" down to the bottom of the bowl. I have my pipe tool scraper, and a dremel. Which should I use to knock some of that cake? Not looking to go back to bare briar, just want to take the top layer off. I don't have a reamer. Next best trick??

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

I have always used a piece 120 grit drywall sand paper rolled up around a pencil to sand the bottom "taper". Please stay away from the Dremel, nothing good can come out of that tool inside a pipe!!!!!!

3. DocB

DocB Active Member

I must confess, I posted the dremel idea with a smile on my face...:beck:

Chuck S and Mark w4mms like this.
  4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yeah, I thought so, Dremels and pipes don't play well together!

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The pipe tool will work fine. Scrape back the cake to about the thickness of a coin. Post pics of the pipes!

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+1

Then later on ... buy a Kleen Reem on Ebay when ya see one[​IMG]

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

That's an impressive set of accessories you have there ruff.

8. DocB

DocB Active Member

I sure will, as soon as I have them cleaned up in the next couple of days!!

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Thanks man ... the Kleen Reem is made of really good steel . The newer brand [ I forget the name ] is cheaper quality , but not bad ... just not as good as the Kleen Reem

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Yep, do what you have to now, and get a Kleen Reem when you see one for a deal, you will never need another reamer. They also have a bit that unscrews to clean out the shank, they're like Ghostbusters!

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. Jay

Jay Active Member

Get a reamer, I have one like Ruff posted but it is not the same brand. I always take a new old pipe to bare wood, or as reasonably close as I can. It helps to get rid of the ghosts and let you build a cake with what you smoke, not what some dead guy smoked. And then it is all yours. Crud included from that point on. The coarse sandpaper is a good idea as you work closer to the wood. This is, in my opinion, the best way to bring an estate back to life.

ruffinogold likes this.
  12. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

What about a retort? Wouldn't that get rid of the cake as well as the ghosts?

13. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

A retort would soften the cake a bit, but won't remove it. You can get the same result (soften) with the cotton ball/alcohol treatment...just takes a bit longer. Are you sure that the bowls are not tapered....some are. Go slow with the scraping down there.

I see a lot of negative comments about the dremmel...I have one that's variable speed, and with a sanding drum and low speed, it makes a great carbon remover. Not for the inexperienced, but it sure works for me.

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

The only time I use a dremel is when the mouth piece needs careful drilling. I have a few pipes where it was quite difficult to get a cleaner through the bit and into the bowl. A 1mm drill bit sorted out the problem. Again: Caution is required!
    And sooner or late you just need a reamer! There are all sorts of improvised possibilities to ream the cake but nothing beats the "real thing".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.