1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Quick ? for all the Savinelli fans

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by 5H4N3, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

So, I have decided to add a Sav to the herd (sooner or later), and while shopping I noticed that (at least the ones I was looking at) are designed for a filter.
    Most everyone here seems to agree that Sav's smoke great, I was just wondering if those who love em smoke them without the filter.
    I find filters to be a pain in the :booty:and I know I will not use the filter.
    So my question is, are Savinelli pipes world class smokers with/without the filter?

dBear likes this.
  2. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I don't use the filters in mine and they are awesome.

5H4N3 likes this.
  3. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Do you use one of those "filter replacements" that Sav sells -- or just go au natural?

4. Rickpal14

Rickpal14 Member

I do not use the filters on any of my Savs. But I do use the filter adapter as I find the draw much to open without it. Others go without either. Try it boths ways and you decide. Good luck! You can't go wrong with a Sav or 2!!!!:bing:

PipeSimmo and 5H4N3 like this.
  5. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

OK Guys, have a look at this and tell me what I'm looking at.
    [​IMG]
    The triangle hole is for a filter right?
    It looks to me like it would be a fairly tight draw, even without a filter. Maybe it already has the adapter?

6. Rickpal14

Rickpal14 Member

This looks as if the adapter is already in the stem. Alot of times it is left in and gets stuck.

5H4N3 likes this.
  7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I have a few, and prefer them without the filter, or the adapter. I don't mind an open draw. Go ahead and get one, and try it all three ways!

Rickpal14 likes this.
  8. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

My 320 came with a pack of those little triangular balsa wood inserts. If that's what you're referring to, I do use them and the pipe smokes fine with it in there. Have not tried without it or with just the adapter.

9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I only have one Sav and I enjoy it without a filter.

10. ShortyK

ShortyK Member

I have a couple and use the filter. As a cig smoker, if I don't use the filter I get no resistance on the draw and heat that bowl up pretty quick! Like others have said, they usually come with either a 6mm or 9mm filter and an adapter..

sK

11. BAMAFAN

BAMAFAN Member

Tried using the filter in the first Sav I bought that used them and did not like it:thdn:. The smoke was good I just don't like messing with the soggy filter.

Sasquatch likes this.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Use it with or without the filter or adapter . Is that picture you posted an old Savinelli Extra [ or featherweight ] ? If so , they smoke awesome :th1:

Jussto likes this.
  13. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

I use all of mine without the filters and they smoke awesome.

14. DogTalker

DogTalker Member

No filter or adapter here...

15. Jim44

Jim44 Member

I generally use the included filter for the first few bowls of a new pipe, and then go with either the adapter, or not. Can't really say that I notice any appreciable difference with or without the adapter. Great smokes either way.

Jussto likes this.
  16. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Just my $.02...the Savinelli Hercules/Baronet line does not require a filter or insert (not that it really matters, as you can smoke without the filter or insert in the regular ones...as everyone else already mentioned).

17. Moose

Moose Active Member

I have smoked my Savs with and without the filter and can tell no difference in the smoking experience. No noticeable difference in the draw either, that I can tell.

Sometimes you feel like a filter, sometimes you don't.

Jussto likes this.
  18. krusty

krusty Active Member

Same here.

19. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

Not a fan of filters but I use one in my dry system Sav. I smoke strickley aero's in my Sav and it does tend to get juicy at times. The balsa filter does not bother me at all. I use it one time and throw it out.

20. muskie12

muskie12 Member

I'm with rondel. I use 6mm balsa filters in my Sav and throw them out after one use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.