Quick mason jar alternative - question

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by IrishRover, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I’ve read that I should probably place open tin contents into a mason jar. I understand now why to do that. I have some Dunhill EMP that’s dried out – learned my lesson.
    My question is, can I use dishwasher cleaned grape jelly jars or pickle jars etc.? I don’t have any more mason jars to spare and probably won’t be buying any until I do a bulk tobacco order.
    Do any of you use old glass food jars like that?

2. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I think the glass is ok but the lids retain the smell of the food that was in there. Don't want to smoke any pickle flavored tobacco. :eek:

IrishRover likes this.
  3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Wally World (Walmart) sells really nice storage jars for about $3.50 - they're over in the kitchen section. They come in various styles, and some have a bale latc lid. Just about any of the jars that have an air-tight seal will work. Forget the jelly jars, or any other jars that previously held food products, because the effort involved in cleaning the lids isn't worth the time. (After all, you wouldn't want your Dunhill to taste like pickled okra or Goober Grape).

Mark w4mms, Elwin and IrishRover like this.
  4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

:xd: You're both so correct on that. The pickle jar still smells like pickles. I must have washed it 3x already.

5. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I feel lucky i have a cheap shop around the corner that sells mason jars that hold a loosely packed 2oz and they only cost me $1.50 each. I had some salsa jars but i use them for ash as i couldn't get the smell out of the lids.

IrishRover likes this.
  6. Dimm

Dimm Member

I had 3 small little mason jars lying around my apartment so I was lucky. I think the most important thing about what you use as a storage is how air tight it is. The mason jar design has the flat sealing lid with a nylon ring around it along with the one you screw on to secure the sealing lid. This is a good system and makes your mason jars completely air tight so no moisture is lost. The thing with other jars is they probably don't have a good seal once they are open. If they do great... use it just make sure to clean it out real well.

IrishRover likes this.
  7. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I use one mason jar that formerly held black raspberry jam, it did not retain the smell of the jam and it is the style with a seal so it's air tight, I use it for a leavings jar, I put all my "left overs" in it. Keeps the bacca pretty fresh. I agree with everyone else here though, if the jar retains the smell of the food that's bad! If you wash it, I'd say no more than 3 times, and it still smells, I wouldn't waste your time, but if 2 or 3 washes gets rid of the smell, go for it. As RTO said, Wal Mart sells 'em cheap so...

IrishRover likes this.
  8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Baby Food Jars are excellent little jars that aren't heavily flavored or spiced.

Ed
    Puff

9. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

If you go cheap on this you'll regret it. Bite the bullet and buy 12 quart/pint jars. You'll reuse the jars over and over again. The only thing you'll want to buy, when you change the contents, is lids. The glass and rings will last you your lifetime. I think I pay $14 for twelve jars at one of the local grocery stores. Protect your tobacco by doing it right.

10. ProvokeMe

ProvokeMe Member

You invest quite a bit of money in the tobacco and then try and get a container for free. Pennywise and dollar foolish if you ask me. Mason jars are quite inexpensive and will last literally a lifetime.

Mark w4mms, Elwin, IrishRover and 2 others like this.
  11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Do it right!

Do it once!

It's what we say in surgery....but right doesn't always end up with the best outcomes guaranteed, but the best chances of the best outcome.

Ed
    Puff

Mark w4mms and IrishRover like this.
  12. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Oh yes, I do store my bulk tobacco in mason jars. I was just wondering since I had some open tins and had the grape jelly and pickle jars lying around, if it was worth using them. It looks like the consensus is no.

Aint that the truth....

Thanks for all the friendly advice in this thread...
    Cheers!

13. The Big Fil

The Big Fil Member

Why do you store ash? ...... :confused:

14. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I have a HEINZ Kosher Dill Pickle jar that I has been on my computer desk for ages. Every now and then I still smell the pickles when I open it up to dump my ash in.

But honestly, it has never seemed to effect the taste of the ash. :)

Jeebs and ol gto like this.
  15. ol gto

ol gto Member

I don't mean to soil you honor suh, but why do I feel one leg is becoming longer than the other?

Rewster66 and Jeebs like this.
  16. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

call me ole fashion...........but i've never heard of anyone licking ash.........

Rewster66 and ol gto like this.
  17. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I am sorry, but since I am not a doctor - I cannot tell you why one of your legs is longer than the other. I would guess maybe POLIO, but that is just an educated guess. I hope this helps you.;)

Jeebs and ol gto like this.
  18. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Yeah more an ashtray too tired to empty just throw out the lot when it's full. I'm not cellaring the stuff :xd:

The Big Fil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.