1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Raliegh Pipe and Tobacco Expo

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Basil Meadows, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Just got back from the Expo. Sorry if you were there and I missed you. Had a great time! All kinds of tobacco to sample, and some very nice pipes! Fantastic people, too! What a blast. Got there 15 mins before it started and left at closing. Beautiful weather, good smokes, and great people!
    My haul....
    [​IMG]
    Got me a new Savinelli....
    [​IMG]
    and on the LAST raffle drawing won a hat, tobacco pouch AND a Kaywoodie
    [​IMG]
    Tobaccos consist of the Sutliff brands in the grab bag..Sunrise Smoke and C D Blend...Cornell & Diel #951 Founding Fathers ... a tin of Mac Baren Navy Flake from January 2008 ... Treasures of Ireland Limerick Virginia Flake from April 2005 and a sample of Anniversary Kake from H&H.
    and a pack of pipe cleaners, lol.
    And a special shout out to Terry and his wife, and Scott and his crew for helping make the day just that much better! All I can say is, so much tobacco and so little time!
    Cheers, all!

Morse, Aristocob, psquared and 8 others like this.
  2. dbt13

dbt13 Sales Account

Basil, I was there from about 8:50 - 3pm ... I'm sure we passed each other several times! Along with the free blends, and a blend of the TAPs Tobacco of the year that I won in a raffle, here was my haul.

[​IMG]

Some Balkan Sobranie, Solani White & Black and a Rinaldo Lithos YYY for a heck of a deal!

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Very nice , Basil ! I dig Sunrise and just love CD blend .. and you scored a Kaywoodie Relief grain , Jeez , in my book ... that's a killer day !!! The Savinelli is pretty cool too :ngty:

4. dbt13

dbt13 Sales Account

Also, I had the pleasure of meeting Moo just before he left and in the few moments we had to chat I can tell he's a super guy.

His mustache is even more awesome in person.

5. Basil Meadows

Sorry I missed you and Moo! Next year we should figure something out on how to spot members. Would be nice if Ruff would teach us the secret handshake. And nice haul, love the pipe!

JimInks, YAPPG and dbt13 like this.
  6. dbt13

dbt13 Sales Account

Yeah for some reason I thought I'd see a few guys chatting and go ... I bet they are PSFers! During my several samples smoking and chatting I'd drop PSF hoping someone would say ...Hey I'm on that site.

Didn't happen.

BTW... I like the sav you bought and thought that they were a great deal at the show.

YAPPG likes this.
  7. Basil Meadows

Thanks! Had all but given up on the raffle, then hit the last one! Am pumped on the Kaywoodie, think the shape is close to our POY!

Longshanks, ruffinogold and YAPPG like this.
  8. Basil Meadows

Did you see the tall handsome feller wearing a felt hat and smoking a poker? I was stand next to him, lol.

YAPPG likes this.
  9. dbt13

dbt13 Sales Account

I saw a tall guy smoking a poker but no felt hat.

Did you see the bald guy with a beard and long goatee smoking either cobbs or a sweet BST haggling with the Rinaldo dealer????

YAPPG likes this.
  10. Basil Meadows

Don't think I had my hat off all day. Never saw anyone else smoking a poker, mighta been me. Missed the haggling part, sorry. Mercy! If you had your cob with you, we were having a party at the table Aristocob as at! Shoulda joined in! (cobs weren't required, just a good sense of humor). We were deep into an intelectual conversation on cobs.

Aristocob and YAPPG like this.
  11. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

Wait so you went some place like a big tobacco and pipe shop and they let you smoke inside. Was this in the U.S.? Sounds like fun, to bad that would never happen in my area. I bet it would be great. Maybe the next time one of these clandestine get together occurrs you could set up a secret rendezvous thread.

YAPPG likes this.
  12. Basil Meadows

Unfortunately we couldn't smoke inside. But there is a large covered area (if it were on a house, I'd call it a porch) on the front that has vending machines, bathroom entrances and about 6 picnic tables to sit at. The Richmond show in Oct. will be open to smoking inside!

Longshanks and YAPPG like this.
  13. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Nice haul guys, well done. Looks like you all had a great time.:gjob::drly:

Basil Meadows likes this.
  14. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

Keep me posted on that October show! Would love to go grab some goodies... and may be win a pipe! Wow! You guys lucked out big time. :sailor:

Basil Meadows and ruffinogold like this.
  15. Terry292

Terry292 Member

Basil, it was great to meet you, I'm so happy you agreed to make me a pipe. As I told you, I really like to see how different pipe makers approach the same shape. I'm looking forward to the result, but, as I've already said, there's no hurry.

These were my acquistions from the TAPS Show:

My raffle win, Yello-Bole Checker bent, Medico Varsity Lumberman, small carved head (unknown maker; there's something on the shank, but the band covers it), and two tins of tobacco:

[​IMG]

Purchases, Alpha Bamboo, unmarked Alpha (the one I showed you), Alpha Handmade, and a Brigham Giant Billiard:

[​IMG]

These aren't actually from the show. We went to the big Flea Market at the Fairgrounds Sunday morning before we left Raleigh, and I found these nearly new old corncobs:

[​IMG] I also picked up another campaign hat like the one in my avatar and two
    Wearever Fountain pens, but that's neither here or there.

All in all, I think I had a very successful show. I go to buy, not sell, and boy, did I buy this trip. The funny thing is I still had folding money in my pocket when the show ended. That very seldom happens to me at a pipe show.

Aristocob and Basil Meadows like this.
  16. dbt13

dbt13 Sales Account

Welcome to PSF Terry! I enjoyed smoking with you at the show. ( I was the bald guy with the beard and long goatee talking with you about our mutual love of English blends)

17. Dr Dover

Dr Dover Member

I sooooooo wanted to go. I live on the NC coast and learned of the Expo only a few months ago. I am currently in Daytona Beach for required ann training, which conficted with last weekend. I am 55. but right now feel like I was the only kid that didn't get to go the Fair! Being a responsile adult, bites!

Aristocob, psquared and Basil Meadows like this.
  18. Aristocob

Aristocob Member

We had a great time at the TAPS show! Here's the view as we arrived at the venue, and from this you can see the covered patio that served as our smoking lounge.

[​IMG]

After registering and paying the paltry sum of $3 for our entrancement fee we were pleasantly surprised to learn that there was a goodie-bag waiting for us at the table behind us. It contained two different tins of Sutliffe tobacco. We later learned that between the three of us we received six different blends!

[​IMG]

The show itself was in a small venue, and for some reason I failed to snap any pic of it, but here are a few of my son "Boy" and some of his favorite pipes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, being a big kid, Boy is drawn to large pipes.
    We made it through the show rather quickly, but no so fast that I didn't drop some cash for some more tobacco and a neat tin Gurkha cigar sign.

From there it was on to my favorite part: Hanging-out on the veranda, smoking tobacco and meeting some colorful people. I hope that Basil Meadows doesn't mind me showing his mug, but meeting him and getting to hang-out for an hour or so with him was one of the highlights of the show. Shown below are several of his latest cob-mods, and Boy and I were honored to leave the show with a couple of them. Yes, those ferrules are spent cartridges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also got to meet Dr. Matt McNally, who just weeks before started an email exchange with me relating to cobs. It was great to meet him and his entourage.

[​IMG]

Our day continued with a trip to the American Tobacco Co. historic campus in Durham, and then to JR Cigars in Burlington for more pipe and cigar smoking in their lounge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This day also marked the first time that Boy's buddy (& Bro-in-law) "Waffle" had ever smoked a pipe.

Here's a link to an album of photos from our day if you care to see more: https://plus.google.com/photos/118138541722352255074/albums/5868218001861101089?authkey=CPHF95HQg-j2Lw

I also shot some video that day, which I hop to get uploaded to my YT channel before the week is over: http://www.youtube.com/user/Aristocob

Thuber88 and Basil Meadows like this.
  19. Basil Meadows

Thanks, Scott! And I must say the time spent talking to you and your crew along with Terry and his wife was also a blast! Wish I hadn't missed Mr Moo and dbt13. I'll be ordering some of the larger cobs after we get back from vacation! It still surprises me that our table was the only one that had laughter coming from it. Must of been the cobs!

Thuber88 and Aristocob like this.
  20. Aristocob

Aristocob Member

How did I miss Mr Moo and dbt13? Man, next time we'll need to wear carnations or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.