1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Rattray's Bog Oak

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bog Oakie, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bog Oakie

Bog Oakie Member

http://www.alpascia.com/detail.asp?detail=21171
    (Sorry for the link, my tablet doesn't work well with the forum controls)

Just got my new Bog Oak yesterday (hence the handle) - a Rattray's poker. I've heard they are good for Latakia blends so it seemed like a perfect fit for me. It's a beautiful pipe (most I've ever spent on a pipe, so what else am I going to say, right?), and feels just right in the hand. I started the break-in last night with some Stimulus Package. I've also heard new BOs can taste a bit funny until they are broken in, and I think I experienced that though I can't be sure it wasn't just because I was expecting it. I'll probably keep going with the SP for now, but when my local shop finally gets more Pirate Kake I plan to switch over.

I'll update as the break-in process continues.

2. inkybat

inkybat Active Member

Wow, that is a gorgeous pipe. I've never seen a texture or a tint quite like that before. I wonder if that is the woods natural colour. It looks like it was made for Latakia.

3. Bog Oakie

Bog Oakie Member

I've heard that the color depends on the age, and that most are grey/black. The inner bowl was more grey than black. The texture is interesting. Looking at others online, they all seem to have that same look. Not sure how to describe it, but it looks kind of like old illustrations made from wood engravings (search for Gustave Dore). I wonder if that has something to do with the wood being partially fossilized.

inkybat likes this.
  4. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

:drly: wow, I can't even begin to describe how much I like that pipe. To say I'm jealous is an understatement.

5. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Active Member

I'm a big fan of the poker shape anyway, but that is gorgeous. Nice catch. Enjoy it!

6. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

inkybat likes this.
  7. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Beautiful pipe. Enjoy many years of great smokes with it!

8. Moose

Moose Active Member

Nice pipe. I love the poker shape as well. Enjoy.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

What did that cost, if you don't mind my asking?

10. Bog Oakie

Bog Oakie Member

$200. I know that's not really a lot for a pipe, but that's a lot for ME for a pipe.

I want to be the kind who only has a couple of pipes and a favorite blend and sticks with that for years, but the collector part of me wants to keep buying.

11. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Very nice pipe. Bog oak pipes are certainly intriguing.

12. Bog Oakie

Bog Oakie Member

Okay, I set up an image host for pictures, now if I can just solve my problem embedding URLs (I have an idea on that, will try tomorrow). Hopefully future threads will go much smoother.

Here's a pic of the actual pipe...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94336066@N03/8586631472/

Old Codger likes this.
  13. inkybat

inkybat Active Member

Very, very nice. And great reading material as well. I'm quite taken with this.

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Yeah, for me, too! :ohyh:

15. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Good purchase. Very nice poker. Enjoy! :bing:

16. Ehrgeiz

Ehrgeiz Member

Awesome looking pipe - the shape really emphasizes the "oak" attributes. Very interesting reading on the objects found in bogs.

17. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Amazing looking pipe. Where would one go about getting one if they were interested as well?

18. Bog Oakie

Bog Oakie Member

Not sure anymore. I've only seen the Rattray's overseas, and that was the last one available as of last week's searches. It was scary, too. At one point it was reserved, then became available again. I think that's what scared me into finally buying it. Too many times I have taken too long to decide on something, only to return to the store and find the last one gone.

If you find another one, don't be afraid to buy it overseas. I ordered mine from a shop in Milan (Al Pascia) Monday night and it was in my hands Friday afternoon. The only thing cooler than that would be to fly out and pick up in person!

19. User5642

User5642 Active Member

Any problems with the rattrays bowl coating? I'm looking at these but can't find any info. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.