Rattray's Dark Fragrant

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mister Moo, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Here is a dark and fragrant (imagine that) blend of dark virginia and perique, so it says on the can, in a coarse cut ribbon. Maybe some stoved virginia mixed with cavendish with a tender perique treatment, this blend is moist but ready to smoke. TR.com says it has some oriental included but I've missed it if it's really there.

[​IMG]

The blend is in no sense overwhelming, biting or powerful - it is smooth as silk, a bit sweet and as easy to handle as it is to light and smoke to the bottom. I've tried it in two briars and a cob - flawless manners and a pleasure from start to finish.

I like vapers and this one is way off the track. It is so smooth and gentle it runs opposite of the vaper character; it lacks any barnyard aroma or edginess. Call it a CAV-per and it's something else - lovely stuff for all day or an evening after-dinner smoke. Akin to another favorite Rattray product, Marlin Flake, this is perhaps gentler and for the flake-uninitiated, easier to handle. I smoked a can and quickly bought two more for the cellar. Not sure how I missed this under-discussed blend for so long.

Wicklow likes this.
  2. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

I like this as well, I smoke it on occasion as a break from straight VA flakes. It had some lukewarm reviews on TR and I almost passed it up, but being a Rattray I gave it a shot and I'm glad I did. I have 6 tins in the cellar, it's a gentle, pleasant smoke.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I still have a tin of this in the cellar. It doesn't get smoked much but it's a nice change of pace. Much less fussy than Rattrays Black Virginia, which I can only smoke if I add perique.

4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I smoke DF on occasion. Built up a nice Rattray's section in the cellar back when JRCigars sold the 100g tins for cheap.

5. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

JRCigars still has the best price per tin on Rattray's I've found, no one else comes close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.