1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-discovered otc

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by CMAsailor, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

Velvet pipe tobacco has captured my fancy. surprisingly good stuff, not complex by anymeans but not terribly boring and smooth. the bag aroma threw me off for a while but when I got the courage to try it I was pleasantly surprised, I've tried it now in several different briars and cobs so I'm convinced, that this bag at-least, tastes decent. It says it's "Distributed By Pinkerton Tobacco Co."

anyone else have comments on this tobacco? or know how to describe it? or know whats in it? LOL

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Velvet is just kinda weird to me . It is smooth and dosent bite . It's the aro flavor that throws me off on that one . It's one of those blends I'll try every few years , though it's been a while . The pouch aroma reminds me of play doh a bit and I taste a bit of that in the smoke . It's been around a long time and I like the look of the old tins

3. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

yea that pla-doh thing is what kept it on the shelf for about a year now... open. she smokes ok now and I cant taste play-doh so I dunno if it's evaporated or what but This bag o mine is decent at the moment

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Velvet. It's got a very distinctive taste and aroma that I cannot describe, although it's been a couple years since I could find it locally. I used to smoke it quite a bit when I could find it, and I've got plans to put a tub worth of it in my cellar. It was one of my late uncle Danny's favorites. I like it a lot in a cob, but I haven't found a briar that seems to work with it. I'm a codger at heart, and I generally prefer simple, "one dimensional" smokes - the kind I can just sit back and enjoy.Velvet is one of them.

Pinkerton also makes Granger, which is another one of my favorites, as well as Half and Half. Both of those (plus Velvet) have been around longer than most of us have been, and they were also some of my uncle Danny's favorites. And all for good reason: they're pleasant and inexpensive smokes that promise nothing more than a good pipe. Then they deliver on it.

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Its reputation for the "play doh" smell scared me away from ever trying it. At one time I considered trying all the old codger blends but now I suspect they are all very similar and I'm no longer eager to sample them. I did try PA, SWR & CH. The PA & SWR was ok but CH is the only one I will continue to smoke.

6. ruffinogold

Ya may want to try them . They arent all similar ... PA and SWR .. are similar . But SWRA and Walnut are nothing like the former . . etc . For the money , theyre worth a go

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I love SWR aro. I'd try Walnut if it were available in pouches but buying a whole tub of something as a sample is kinda risky.

8. ruffinogold

I hear that ... I dont like to buy to much of stuff I'm not sure about . I think Mars sells 2 0z bags of Walnut ?!

9. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

OTCs are often neglected, but they have been around forever for a reason. They satisfy a taste without breaking the budget. Sometimes you just want a sandwich, though gourmet meals are always available for more money. I'm a SWRA man myself, and don't see myself changing anytime soon. After about six months, pipe after pipe, it continues to satisfy me. I've got two tins ready to be opened and enjoyed, so it had better be good. It will be.

Velvet has tempted me. "America's smoothest smoke," if I remember correctly. Great things have been said about Granger, too, and I am more tempted by that based on the attractive tin art. A tin of Velvet just looks very 1970s to me, not that the art is any reason to judge a tobacco, and not that there was anything terribly wrong with the 70s when we were living them. The proof is in the smoking, and you have found a winner. Go with it. It's on my list, like so many other things.

Thanks for the affirmative review.
    WK

Bent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.