1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-hydrate? eh, not so fast.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WrightwoodJohn, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taco

Taco Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Some more thoughts along this topic.
    I'm pretty sure that the raw tobacco that is used by the manufacturers can sit around in the warehouse for years before getting used -- and little effort is made to keep it hydrated over this time (trying to maintain hydration would be very expensive and the risk of mold would be substantial). This is partially documented at the MacBarren website: http://mac-baren.com/selection-of-raw-tobaccos
    • "In our raw tobacco warehouse, we have enough tobacco for two years production"
    • "Raw tobaccos have a moisture level of about 7%. At such a low level, the leaves would crumble during further processing. The first step in the production process is therefore to loosen the tobacco carefully and add steam."
    An intrinsic part of the manufacturing process is to rehydrate before blending and packaging. If we accept that what we receive in the tins is of good quality then we must also accept that re-hydrated tobacco is of good quality (which was the original question of this thread).

To give an extreme example: Syrian latakia was last produced over 10 years ago and yet that last batch of tobacco is still being used to make blends today. That means it has been drying out as it sits in a huge bin in some warehouse for over 10 years. Therefore every new tin of tobacco containing Syrian latakia starts with decade old bone-dry tobacco. And yet, ever new tin of Syrian latakia based tobacco I have smoked has been wonderful.

2. MarkinCA

MarkinCA Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks Taco:th1:
  3. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I was going to buy some Squadron Leader from one of the local B&Ms last week. The guy poured it onto the scale and said that it was bone dry. I pinched some and it was indeed crackly, crunch dry. He was going to throw it out but asked I wanted it to re-hydrate. So I've got a couple of ounces re-hydrating. I also have some fresh SL, so I'll try to do a comparison one of these weekends.
    dBear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.