1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-Lights ... nice!

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Pecci, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Why is it that I seem to enjoy the 1st light and re-lights most? During the light and shortly, thereafter.

Am I doing something right ... or doing something wrong?! :rolleyes:

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

?

Jeebs likes this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Certain blends offer certain flavors right off the bat, to be sure. As for doing it "wrong", well, maybe.... are you getting the pipe hot later on and destroying all those good flavors by burning them up?

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

:cfsd:

5. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

I think I know what you mean on the re-lights. When it has happened with me, I've assumed that there's some tobacco that has been dried out by the bowl heat and just needs that spark to ignite, but once it does, it burns quickly. Gives a quick shot of flavor, but it fades.

It does seem to happen more when the bowl gets hot, so maybe, as usual, Sasquatch is on point.

6. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I think Sas has a good point. I 've been working on slowing down. I think for now I have to be consciously aware of this.

IrishRover likes this.
  7. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I noticed the same thing after smoking for a while. Slower smoking was the second cause for relights - which in turn the slowing down was the reason for tasty tobacco.
    The first cause for relights was because I just didn't know how to pack the pipe..once I got that down, then I smoked too fast. After learning to slow down is when the relights happened again but, the tobacco tasted much better.

Jeebs likes this.
  8. NoRm

NoRm Member

The first bite of an apple always tastes the best, but I still enjoy the rest of the apple. You've said that you enjoy the first light and relight the most. You didn't mention whether or not you enjoy the rest of the bowl. Do you find the rest of the experience to be somewhat unpleasant?

A simple rule for tobacco: If you're enjoying it...then you're "doing it right."

Pschoppy48 and HazyDat620 like this.
  9. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

That says it all

10. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I do enjoy, but I seem to get the best flavor after relights. I usually stop enjoying, at the bottom of the barrel. I'd go faster just to finish.

I was aware that I was going too fast. I have been working at slowing down.

11. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I know what you mean, I usually enjoy the full flavor and volume of smoke after a relight. But only for the first half, maybe two thirds of the bowl. The last third, not so much...

Pecci likes this.
  12. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

You know what I like to do a lot of the time is DGT. I'll smoke it halfway down and let go out and sit for a few hours and come back to it. It usually lights way cooler from the beginning and usually brings out more flavor, imo.

NoRm likes this.
  13. NoRm

NoRm Member

Congratulations. You've discovered what is sometimes called "the delayed gratification technique."
    Pipe smoking is about slowing down. I don't mean just smoking at a slow rate; I mean the experience of allowing "life" to slow down. It's so easy to get caught up in the world around us. Pipe smoking is sort of an antithesis of instant gratification.

Pschoppy48 and Pecci like this.
  14. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Gosh, difficult to do in metro LA. Maybe that's part of the problem.

15. NoRm

NoRm Member

So at that point, why finish the bowl?
    Some (but probably not most) smokers will smoke dottle, but if you find that you don't enjoy the last 1/3 of the bowl then why not just stop smoking when you get there? Let the bowl cool, and carefully remove the unburned tobacco from the heel of the bowl and discard it. There is no shame, dishonor, or harm to come from that. I think you should find out what suits you best and stick with it...even if it turns out that you prefer to smoke only the first half of the bowl.

16. NoRm

NoRm Member

Lol! That COULD make things difficult. But not impossible. When you achieve the "zen" of pipe smoking, you might just as well be in the middle of the Gobi desert. The fact that you're in LA won't hinder you.

17. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I love the desert ... Don't know about the Goby, though!

NoRm - another great point, however I usually smoke MM's and my tasks are to nullify the insert @ bowl bottom. That requires finishing. I have recently bought and used 2 new Sav's, and want them broken in all the way down. After that, I'll follow your advice.

18. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

LA is, for the most part, a cultural wasteland. Does that count?

Jeebs and Pecci like this.
  19. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The first lights are clean ... the further down ... less clean . Virginia Tobacco seems " cleanist " to me .... You smoke Va ?

20. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I think that when lighting and re-lighting you are drawing more to the pipe going. Maybe, once it is lit, draw deeper and see if you get the same effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.