Read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by AnonSage, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I just look at the pictures....

Calvinandpipe likes this.
  2. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

Expensively.

Mister Moo likes this.
  3. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I got John LeCarre's wonderful "Karla Trilogy" of historical cold war spy novels for christmas, 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy,' 'The Honorable Schoolboy,' and 'Smiley's People.' All fantastic and they make for a wonderful read during a pipe. I also greatly enjoy Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin ('Master & Commander') series. Also currently reading The Hobbit again, and W. Shirer's 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.'

AnonSage likes this.
  4. AnonSage

AnonSage Member

Yea, I'll check it out mate!

5. AnonSage

AnonSage Member

I've read a good bit of Warhammer, it's pretty damn good!

6. jgWatson

jgWatson Member

I'm currently reading C. S Lewis' space trilogy (currently on Perelandra), The Time Machine by H. G. Wells, and Holiness by J. C. Ryle. All make wonderful "pipe-n-read" books.

Calvinandpipe and Dave Dueck like this.
  7. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Depends on what you mean by lately. The Mahabharata in the University of Chicago edition is one of the very few really great books I have read.

8. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

I did a book report on The Rise and Fall, however my English teacher in 1985 did not appreciate it.

9. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

I got The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins for Christmas. I am just about done with it and it's really well done. Published in 1859 and for that time period it is a wicked good read. I can't put it down.

10. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

The third book of the Space Trilogy, 'That Hideous Strength,' was one of the best books I ever read. The ideology (theology?) behind it perhaps isn't for everyone, but it was communicated so well as a structured narrative and was so deeply interesting (especially the fleeting ties to Arthurian legend and Tolkien's Middle Earth) that I wanted to read it again right away once I'd finished it. Glorious stuff. All those books are very good.

jgWatson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.