1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Really Dumb Question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by pauljmjr, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

I can't believe I need to ask this question, as I've been smoking pipes for 40 years, but here goes. I've never had a pipe with a filter. But I just bought my first filtered pipe - a nice Savinelli. I bought it from Smokingpipes.com, and their website indicates that this pipe (a Morino Bent Billiard) takes a 6 mm filter, which I purchased along with the pipe. The problem is that the filter does not seem to fit! I don't get it - I just don't see how the thing is suppossed to fit. Any help for the dimwit here would be really appreciated.

2. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Is it a Balsa wood filter?

3. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

Yes it is - made by Savielli.

4. Morse

Morse Active Member

The 6mm balsa filters go into the stem as follows. Sometimes you sort of scrape off the corners as you are putting it in there but that's nothing to be particularly concerned about.

[​IMG]

and its not a dumb question if you've never seen one of these before.

5. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

My Sav has a insert that needs to be removed before the filter will fit. If you don't want to use the filter, leave the insert in and smoke without the filter. The insert is just a small plastic tube that should fall right out of the stem. I said this because if it doesn't I wouldn't want you to try and pull the insert out and break something.

6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

As Morse alluded to, the filters can be a little snug when inserting them into the stem; although if you squeeze the ends a bit prior to putting them in it works a lot easier.

7. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

Morse and rlucas - thanks so much. You were both very helpful. That is the balsa filter I have and the pipe did have a plastic insert that came out with a little gentle persuasion. It need a bit of tugging and I thought that piece might need to come out. But I didn't want to go nuts on a brand new pipe. Now that the plastic piece is out, the filter fits great. I can't thank you both enough. Just another example of the great comraderie that we have here. Thanks again.

8. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

I hope you like your new sav, you should post a picture of it and welcome to the forum :)

9. Morse

Morse Active Member

Yep - totally forgot that the adapter might be in there already - thanks for the catch.

And Paul you are most welcome

10. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Not a problem. Enjoy your Sav.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Well , now that it's in there ... let me ask you a question . I just got my first savinelli with a filter , a Tevere Prince , and I am amazed at the filter for one reason for sure . With the filter in or with the filter out .... the Draw is the same . Mines' like that and I'm wondering if yours is too ? It's a fantastic smoking pipe as well

12. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Mine draws the same with or without the filter. I noticed the draw is more open if the adapter is not in when smoked without the filter.

13. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

Thanks again guys. I'm now sitting in my garage firing the new Sav up for the first time (I live in snowy and cold Massachusetts and as I only smoke outside, this is my Winter Man Cave). I'll try to post a picture of the pipe. It was only $60 so it's not a real expensive pipe. But I think I'm really going to like it. I got the Sav because a lot of foks here seem to like them.

jkstewart1, jpberg and Morse like this.
  14. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Well, I've been smoking a pipe for less than a year (about 9 months), this just happens to be the only question I have an answer too. Thats only because one of my 4 pipes is a Savinelli. I am glad to be of assistance. BTW 2 of my pipes are Dr. G's and the other a MM cob.

jpberg and Morse like this.
  15. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

qwik and StubrnDutchman like this.
  16. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

As I've only smoked one bowl (actually 1/3 of one bowl as I'm just breaking it in) with the filter in it, I'll have to experiment with the filter in and out. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

ruffinogold likes this.
  17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

One of the big advantages of both Savinelli's "filter" and the Brigham one (being a wood tube) is that they don't affect the draw the way the 9mm charcoal filters do. I happily smoke my Savs with or without, depending on the tobacco, the day, and whether I have the balsas on hand. It's a smart system for sure.

Morse likes this.
  18. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I'm with Sas - I can definitely enjoy the Sav balsa filters on occasion. No negative effect on the draw and minimal (IMHO) loss in flavor. I've tried a few charcoal cartridges and that was a few too many.

I trust this pipe will treat you well! Enjoy it, however cold it may be. (I've briefly escaped New England for warmer climes, but I'll be right back with you in less than a week)

19. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

Thanks Tony. I'm heading to the Caribbean in less than a month and I'm counting the days! Enjoying a pipe while overlooking the hot sand and water will sure beat sitting next to the snow shovels in the garage.

jpberg likes this.
  20. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Very nice Sav and I know you will enjoy it. I don't use the filters or the tube in any of my Savs. Where are you heading in the Carib?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.