1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Really Ignorant Peterson System Question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So I know about how the "system" works, and I know they have a line named for having this system.

What I'm curious about is if any Peterson pipes feature this type of carving in the shank apart from the "System" line.

I recently examined a Peterson pipe at a local Tinderbox. I inspected the shank, and it appeared to be carved with the off centered draft hole and the well beneath it. If I recall correctly, though, it was one of the "Father's Day" line pipes.

Are there many non-"System" pipes which feature the Peterson system?

It's hard to properly word this question, but I think you know what I'm asking most likely. Any help is appreciated, I'm in the market for a new pipe very soon. Tough choice between a Stanwell, a Johs, a Savinelli and a Peterson right now.

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Did that pipe have a P-lip? I don't know much about Petes, but Savinelli has pipes that use balsa filters like their Dry System line, but the official Dry System pipes are the only ones with P-lips, which I presume is supposed to be better still. Maybe Peterson does something similar.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Having an extra deep mortise with a non-centered draft hole does not qualify as "system", proper. It's just a lazy way of making pipes. The System pipes have the draft hole about half way up the mortise wall with a good size collecting pit below them. This directs the smoke literally onto the side of the tenon, forcing it to go down and around to get up the stem, and presumably condensing via turbulance on the way. Off the factory floor, the "regular" bent petersons, like xl02, 303, 309 etc will have a fairly long mortise and the airway will usually be found kind of at the "top corner". The tenon comes nowhere close to this, so there's a large hollow area in the mortise. This kind of design is neither fish nor fowl - not quite a system pipe and certainly not an optimized-airflow pipe either. "That'll do, Pig." :)

Kiowapipe likes this.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

As far as I know , the Peterson system pipes are the only ones w/ a system well . Savinelli has a system pipe with a well in it also .. http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=H&srch=KW&search_text=Savinelli+Dry . The old Wellington pipes are peterson Knock offs but of cheaper quality [ imo ] . Surely theres other system/ well pipes out there .... I just cant think of any

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Yes, there appeared to be such a pit, not simply off centered drilling.

Based on the responses I've gotten, I think I'll save a Pete for later. I have a smaller budget than I'd hoped for, but can still find quite a nice pipe well within my means, with a little left over for some tobacco and such as well, I should hope.

6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I have a "Hand-Made" that isn't marked as a System, but it is. It's an oversized Deluxe, construction-wise, complete with stinger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.