Reamer arrived

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by smokerpipe, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokerpipe

smokerpipe Member

Reamer arrived from E-Bay - 14 GBP.

[​IMG]

OldSouled65, Professor and DocB like this.
  2. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

Good deal! I have a castleford, but the senior is an awesome tool!

3. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I need to get myself a reamer. Being so new I haven't needed one yet, but want to make sure I have one for when I do.

4. hansel

hansel Member

i got one of those senior reamers and i like it, but i need a dif one for some of my pipes, if you have like a Dublin or similarly shaped bowl than the seniors dont work to well. which is a shame cause they are nice tools

5. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I got really lucky and picked up a Pip Net (similar to the Castleford) reamer on Ebay for $5. It works well on most applications; with the exception of the odd pipe.

6. Rockabilly J

Rockabilly J Member

For those of us that don't know, what function does a reamer serve?

7. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

It's for reaming out the bowl. It is used to keep the cake buildup inside the bowl at an optimal level.

8. SalopSt

SalopSt Member

When restoring my father's heavily pipes , basically I used a Buttner style reamer and patience where I could, or _large_ masonry drill bits where I could not (not attached to a rill, obviously:bangin: ), finishing off with sandpaper. That took everything back to near-bare wood. Since then-- as the cakes are forming nicely-- I'll run fine emery cloth over the cake every once in a while to even things out. Seems to work pretty well so far.

So, rephrasing Rockability's question: "Is a pipe reamer necessary?"

9. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

That is a great reamer to have, in my opinion. I just got another after my first one finally "locked up" and would not turn, would not adjust. (And, I tried everything I could think of -- penetrant, vice grips with rubber pads and so on.) Not to worry about yours. My first one must have lasted 35 years or so, so you will get your money's worth from it.

10. smokerpipe

smokerpipe Member

Salop, you obviously took a hardest way to clean a cake. What are you describe, this is a little complicate for me. So, answer is: "Reamer is necessary!" At least for me ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.