1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Reaming

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by buistd, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Active Member

Hi there - My first pipe that I have smoked seriously reached a point of needing the cake evening and thinning out a bit. I bought an old reamer on ebay (which incidentally was partly non-functioning) and tried using it on the pipe. It did an okay job but chipped a bit of the cake in a couple of places taking it back to wood. I was wondering if anyone has any good advice on maintaining a consistent cake.

2. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

The best reamer for most standard sized pipe bowls (dunhill group 1 - 5) is the "British butner". They're no longer manufactured but you find them on ebay sometimes or you can get a modern replica

3. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

I had been using a Senior Reamer with good results...adjustable and aggressive. However, I had a hard time maintaining larger sized bowls...for that matter, smaller ones, too! Also, the Senior Reamer has a distinct cutting path...so the bowl shape can determine how well it works.

I purchased the Savinelli FitsAll reamer....sort of a 3 bladed pipe knife. Size and shape of bowls are a non-issue for me now. Every 3-4 smokes I just gently scrape the inside of the bowl to knock off the high points and maintain a nice even cake. You can check out my video on it to see what it looks like (this is not an instructional vid):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l8WoZbO0Vs

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

I've been using the Swiss made PIP NET for the past 25 years. It has never let me down, is easy to use and works on all the bowls I have.
    There are also cheap copies of this tool available but they seem to be rather flimsy.
    Maybe you can get an original one off ebay since they're no longer produced.
    Good luck!

5. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I've got the Senior Reamer and it's worked well for me. Howver, like Senetor stated; using it on larger bowls or even the very small ones is tough.

6. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Senior Reamer and pipe knife for me, no problems.

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I've got this really exclusive gadget, I think it's called a kitchen knife - works amazingly well.

woody and TxPipesmoker like this.
  8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Fine grit sandpaper wrapped around a finger/pen/screwdriver. I use a knife too, when needed.

9. HauntedMyst

HauntedMyst Member

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi there!
    The first link shows the PIPNET copy. The original one is an EXCELLENT tool! I've had mine for decades, and it works on all of my pipes, currently 37.
    There's one on ebay UK at the moment!
    Good luck!

11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Senior Reamer works for me, and the odd bit of
    sand paper.

12. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

The PIP NET copy is still an excellent product.

13. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.