Reccomendation for a Newbie???

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Frontier, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Frontier

Old Frontier Member

Hey guys. I have been researching pipes, and pipe tobacco for some time now, and now I've purchased a starter pack. First off I wanted to know if anyone could identify the kind of tobacco I will b etting with this, as I have no Idea: http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/gift sets/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=72356

Also, I was wondering what you would recomend for a good quality starter tobacco that won't break the bank (I personally like the "tin" idea). I have heard to avoid main stream OTC tobacco (Such as Captain Black) as it gunks up your pipe, and has added preservatives; also causing toung bite (I almost want to do it right away, so I know NOT to do it again LOL!).

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Starter tins; McClelland "Wilderness" & Dunhill "Early Morning Pipe" (imho)

3. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

I have read that Boswell's has a few really good starter tobaccos:

"No Bite Delight" for an aromatic choice

"Mild English" for a non-aromatic

They are only about $2.75 per ounce, which is a great price. I plan to call them Wednesday and place an order myself. I found out about them on www.tobaccoreviews.com
    It is a great website to do some research on. Anytime I see tobaccos mentioned or recommended here, I always slip over to tobacco reviews to read up on them and get more info.

Stormy, Stonewall and Artistik like this.
  4. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

Nothing wrong with the big name OTC tobaccos. Stuff like Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall, Granger, Prince Albert, Half and Half is all fine. There's a reason many of them have been around as long as they have. They have many devoted followers around here. On this forum, it's okay to enjoy the cheap stuff.

Here is a list of tobaccos that are relative tops in their genre. It is a great guide. Working your way through that list will ferret out what styles you like, without getting a bad tobacco that unfairly colors your perception of the style.

Darkly and Spillproof like this.
  5. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

+1 on Boswell's blends. Most of their aromatics are light. I have smoked PA Dutch Treat, Pipers Pleasure, Christmas Cookie, Boswell's Best and Bear Blend, all with no bite. Bear Blend has a little latakia as well.

Agree with Tortuga as well. OTC are quite good, especially Carter Hall and Sir Walter Raleigh. For a special treat, try them in a Cob.

Stormy likes this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

There is nothing wrong with the Captain Black blends, they are a premium brand name tobacco, been around for ages and in my opinion are better than the bulk equivalents everybody raves about like 1Q, try them for yourself!

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

When I was in the Navy, my ship (USS Ticonderoga) pulled into Toulon, France. They were having a wine festival of some sort, and I tried many very nice wines from all over France. I got to talking to one of the wine merchants. His father was in the Resistance in WWII, and he was old enough to remember D-Day in vivid detail. Anyway, we got to discussing wine. He was of the opinion that any wine is a good wine if you enjoy it, although some are obviously better than others. His family's vinyards produced several wines, but by far their biggest seller was their dinner wine - the type of wine served every day with dinner. I tried all of his wines, and I am by no means a wine expert, but I could understand why his dinner wine was so popular - it was simply enjoyable and inexpensive. (His top of the line offering was pretty good, too). His overall view was that wine was meant to be shared and enjoyed, and that a well-rounded cellar should have more than just top shelf wines: it should have wines that fit every occasion, from those common wines that you sit back and enjoy every day to more exlusive wines that you reserve for the special occassions in life.

So it is too, I think, with pipe tobacco. With the exception of Paladin and M79 (and most Altadis offerings), I have never met a bad tobacco. Some are better than others and some I just don't prefer, but I've rarely come across a "bad" tobacco. I think a well-rounded cellar or tobacco bar should reflect what you like, with OTC and inexpensive bulk tobaccos for your everyday enjoyment and the more exclusive tinned tobaccos for those special occassions or times when you just want something special. Or, maybe, you prefer a more exclusive type of cellar, and eschew OTC's or bulks - and that's cool too. It's all good, either way, because I think that the purpose of pipe smoking is pure enjoyment and I think you should smoke what you enjoy. Just have the common courtesy not to belittle another person's choice in tobacco. (Unless it's Paladin.. an intervention might be needed).

Old Codger, Waino and Stonewall like this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I think the bottom line is this, a new smoker needs to try the different genre's of tobacco and just decide what they like and don't like, I would start with what I could find locally first before I started spending all kinds of money on samples and tins and paying the high cost of shipping, sometimes I think we really overwhelm new smokers with choices and recommendations and in my opinion it doesn't matter to me what anyone likes to smoke or cellar whether it is bulk, tin or OTC, it's all tobacco and their choice!

RTOdhner likes this.
  9. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Ignore all of this advice, and order a pound of Gawith Hoggarth & Co's Louisiana Flake.

RTOdhner likes this.
  10. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

My take on this is that it depends on what you want to do. If you're trying to build out a rotation, then just ask around about what's good. That'll go a long way towards getting you a list. If you're trying to educate your palate about tobacco, then I'd suggest starting with simpler blends, learning what components you like (Va, buley, latakia, etc.), and then moving into the more complicated stuff.

One approach is as good as another.

Stonewall and RTOdhner like this.
  11. Marker

Marker Active Member

Try a few different types of tobacco and give them a few goes, not just one. Once you decide a couple you like find someone here who likes similar tobaccos. Then have them recommend stuff they have liked and buy in small quatities. Try them a bit and go from there.

Spillproof sent me a ton of samples and it really helped. He sent one called 'Ocean' from his local shop. The first two times I had it I thought it was enjoyable. The next couple I realized it wasn't for me. If I would have based my tobacco purchases on the first two bowls I might have made a larger mistake. Learn from the many well traveled (read: old) people here. They are smarter than they look.

Spillproof and RTOdhner like this.
  12. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

i think most pipers start off with aromatics, thats ok. some aromatics smoke wetter than other aros. everyone has different taste, you will most likely move up in your picks, meaning you will likely get away from aros and try non-aromatics. take your time don`t rush things. myself i enjoy many tobacs, i think that`s a good thing.. also to further your enjoyment, let your tobac dry out before smoking. this helps with wettness meaning your pipe will smoke drier with less gurgle. also try too smoke slowly. packing,lighting, and tapping are very important to the over all experience, good luck to you sir.

take care.
    mike.

Old Codger likes this.
  13. Waino

Waino Active Member

You find your way. I gave up cigars after I had tasted W. O. Larsen Edition 2011. My neighbor and PSF member gave it to me. Then I bought Vanilla Creams and 7 Seas, all Mac Barens. Harmfully they bited my tonque. I could not stand them.

I tasted Samuel Gawith, every label. Balkan Flake was my favor but it was always too wet or totally dry.

Then I decided to smoke Virginia without perfumes. Capstan Navy Cut, University Flake, Shamrock (Capstan and Shamrock are still my favors). Sometimes they owerpowered me and I went back to aros. I could smoke more mild aros at first.

Then I tasted first good and strong latakia blend, Poul Olsen Haddock. Never had tried something like that. Now I have all kind of latakias: Old Dublin, Vintage Syrian, Red Rapparee, Ten Russians, Kong Frederick, Hvid Balkan. Now I smoke latakia blends, Virginia flake or Burley flake.

I have no idea what I am going to smoke next year. Right now Ten Russians, Hvid Balkan, Haddock and Capstan are near hands. Larsen Simply Unique is for social situations.

This is an adventure. Warning: If you take latakia to a forest or mountains, try to smoke "downwind". Otherwise deers are running to a next State :th1:

Old Codger likes this.
  14. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

From one newbie to another I bought five of the Boswell blends and liked them all. As for OTC it just don't get much better than Carter Hall. Don't be afraid to try new things. If you don't like it then put it up for a while you might later.

15. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

It's easy to discount OTC's... they are (for the most part) readily available, and some of them will bite.. some of them won't taste good to you... But some of them.. will fit a bill for you.. fill a niche in your rotation that no high end top shelf boutique blend will.. There's nothing wrong with ANY blend of tobacco, as long as you can get along with it.. and as long as it gets along with your flavor, physiology, and smoking style. Same goes for pipes.. Sometimes, nothing will do better then a top end meer or a high end briar.. but then sometimes, a simple cob pipe is exactly what you will need and want. Point is, don't let silly concepts like snobbism, or the need to show conspicuous consumption detract from the real goal here.. A wonderful relaxing enjoyable smoking experience.

16. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

totaly agree with darkly here.

mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.