1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Received my first tongue bite today!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Colton, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colton

Colton Member

After smoking my new grabow for the first time and my second tobacco Captain Black royal (smells like chocolate to me) I got tongue bite and then went on to brush my teeth which needless to say did not help :bangin: Also any tips for lighting it takes me a CRAP TON of matches to finally get my pipes lit!

2. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Active Member

Lighting tip? Bic lighter my man! Matches Smatches LOL.

3. Pappy

Pappy Member

In my experience, many of the “aromatic” tobaccos have an increased possibility of tongue bite. The first thing you need to do is wait a couple of days to let your tongue heal. Next, your tobacco may be too “wet”. Take out the amount of tobacco you want to smoke and let it air dry for about an hour. This may help with the bite and the light. Is your pipe broke in? If not start by filling the bowl no more then half way until it starts to cake. Then go to a full bowl. If matches are not your thing, I would suggest a good old fashioned Zippo lighter. Works great inside and outside. Hope this is of some help.

Monkey likes this.
  4. highstump

highstump Active Member

I'll warn you now (just in case) it also will not help one bit to swish anything carbonated around in there. :eek:

browny likes this.
  5. Colton

Colton Member

Thanks to all great tips!

6. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

No spicy food with tongue bite...unless you don't like yourself.

7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Why not try some other blends? If everything you're trying is biting you, then sure you may have some filling and lighting problems. And true, sometimes, tongue bite can be fixed with proper filling and lighting techniques...

But sometimes it's just a chemical thing and no matter what you do, some blends are just gonna bite you! It's a case-to-case thing, it seems. Maybe try some Carter Hall or Prince Albert?

Coastal Bend likes this.
  8. Pappy

Pappy Member

Sir Walter Raleigh is another good low bite toby that is fairly easy to find.

9. Pappy

Pappy Member

Or maybe Half and Half?

Monkey likes this.
  10. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Try some Biotene, it will cure tongue bite almost overnight.

11. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

A spoon full of honey can do wonders too.

12. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Good advice. It's been over 35 years since I've smoked any Captain Black but I seem to remember it was expecially bad about tongue bite. Also, one of the most important things to do is SLOW DOWN. Take small sips and occasionally exhale through your nose without pulling the smoke into your lungs. (That's called snorking.)

13. Professor

Professor Active Member

Yepp - absolutely not! That's an advice you don't get very often - still: It's true.
    Wait until your tongue feels normal again (can be 1 day or more) and then
    start again with a tongue friendly OTC blend like CH! :th1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.