1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Recent TAD attack appeased at Iwan Ries

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mongo, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Active Member

Howdy all,
    Back from my recent continuing education trip with side visit to Iwan Ries. I had a good time checking out all they had to offer, and got some helpful advice from their employees. I wanted to buy about a dozen different choices, but settled on three:

Peterson's Irish Flake
    Peterson's Perfect Plug
    Peter Heinrich Dark Strong Flake

I have since gotten the chance to try all three, and like 2&1/2 of them.

I absolutely love the Peterson's Irish Flake. It has a nice strong flavor and makes for a mostly great smoke. The only thing I do not like about it is that it is an absolute BUGGER to initially get lit. I've tried it whole and folded and rubbed out. Once I finally get it lit, it burns quite nicely.

Peterson's Perfect Plug is a very interesting tobacco. It comes in this super dense block that was smaller than expected. It is a very nice and flavorful smoke that I will reserve for special occasions. The totally cool thing about it is that I need another of one of my favorite vices... a sharp knife to prepare it for smoking. The whole prep thing adds to the enjoyment of this tobacco.

Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake is one that I am still deciding on. The either good or bad news is that I have a ton of it. It comes in small flakes that are a mixture of tan and dark brown tobacco stripes. Maybe because it is different from anything else I have is why I cannot decide how well I like it yet.

The Iwan Ries visit was quite the experience for me. Unfortunately, I went on a day that I wasn't planning on going, so I didn't have my pipe bag with me. I did get to visit their smoking lounge, and it was very impressive. I also got a list of about a half dozen or so tobaccos to try based upon the IR employee trying to figure out what I do like, and what I may like. The only negative was the HORRENDOUS State of Illinois and City of Chicago TAXES on the tobacco. They ended up being almost 50% the original cost of the tobacco!

esteban, Old Codger and YAPPG like this.
  2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Man , IRC is such a great shop !!! I could almost cry at the thought of shopping there ... and I'm sure I'd cry at the taxes involved . Those three blends you bagged are great example of their types .. PH DSF being in my top five blends ! Those are all " dense " blends and need a touch of doing , being rubbed or sat out . You'll get the hang of it by just experimenting and smoking ! Next time youre there , buy a pouch of Old Colonial [ If you like Carter Hall ] . It's better than Carter Hall , imo , and burns and lights right out of the pouch / jar ..... it's a fantastic Old School American smoke , like many of the IRC Traditional blends

JimInks, esteban and mongo like this.
  3. krusty

krusty Active Member

Seen many pics of the Iwan Ries shop, would love to visit myself someday. You did indeed walk out with three great tobaccos Mongo!
    FWIW, I do smoke most flake tobacco fold/stuff but I enjoy Irish Flake most when fully rubbed out to an almost shag consistency.

esteban likes this.
  4. mongo

mongo Active Member

Smoked a bowl of Peter Heinrich's and PPP tonight...... the PH gave me a mild case of tongue bite and the PPP is simply divine. I definitely see getting more of that.

5. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

I'm keen to try PPP, even more so after reading this.

6. mongo

mongo Active Member

There is even MORE ritual to smoking this.... you need a knife, something to cut it on, then cube it up. Can't just Codger scoop this stuff. I really like it though. It burns down to a really fine ash too.

Summit likes this.
  7. Grumpynuts

Grumpynuts Member

"The only negative was the HORRENDOUS State of Illinois and City of Chicago TAXES on the tobacco. They ended up being almost 50% the original cost of the tobacco! "...Yikes, makes one wonder how these places can stay in business!
    Thank you for the reviews. I've wondered about PPP. Why special occasions.....$$ to amt. ratio?
    Thanks,
    Dave

8. BigG

BigG Member

I never miss a chance to stop at Iwan Ries when I'm in Chicago. When I was in college about a hundred years ago I first sampled some of their Three Star Blends and have been hooked ever since.

esteban likes this.
  9. County Mountie

County Mountie Active Member

FYI Heinrich's dark strong flake is the same as Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky. It's also awesome

10. mongo

mongo Active Member

Dave... I like to reserve the really good tobaccos for occasions where I know I will appreciate it more....

Old Codger likes this.
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

Iwan Ries is one of the best shops to visit, their selection is second to none. Unfortunately their prices are high due to the taxes. It is a must visit for any pipe smoker.

The PH also bitees me due to the high content of red virginia's. Years ago it did not have that much in it and I could smoke it with no bite. I would recommend cube cutting the Irish flake and 3 p's, I get a nice cool and flavorful burn that way.

esteban likes this.
  12. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

The interesting thing about 3P is that it's always a good smoke but there are times, like the bowl full I had this evening, that are truly exceptional. Cube cut, shaved thin flake, dime thickness flake broken up, every variation lets something different come through.

13. Grumpynuts

Grumpynuts Member

I tried PPP for the first time last night. It kicked my happy butt! I followed all previous posts' warnings about being enjoyed on a full stomach and that the vitamin N content was high. Well, I found it to be one to be enjoyed while sitting down and preferably on level ground. I cut the flakes (which next time that will be singular), rubbed them out, and filled what I thought was a small bowl. Next time the bowl won't be filled more than 2/3 way. That being said I can understand why this is an enjoyable smoke. The flavor was wonderful, rich, and full. I look forward to trying it again after my next big dinner.

14. beercritic

beercritic Member

PPP is sublime. Simple, but refined. I enjoy the ritual of preparing it.

15. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Only THREE??!!

DaveyBoy likes this.
  16. mongo

mongo Active Member

I enjoyed revisiting this thread!
    I still enjoy IF and 3P, not likely to buy the PS DSF again.... It's ok, but didn't knock my socks off.
    Smokey Joe.... I couldn't afford more!
    Ruff... Thanks for the recc on Old Colonial, I do like CH so I will have to look into that.

SmokeyJoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.