1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend a beginner pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by smcclown, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smcclown

smcclown New Member

Hello! I am new to this forum and new to pipe smoking. I just ordered a couple of Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes to start out with. From my initial browsing it sounds like its good to have a few pipes to alternate between. Can you all recommend a good beginners briar pipe? I'm new to this so I don't really want to spend a ton of money. Would there be anything in the $50 range? Thanks!

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Welcome, and oh, yeah! Besides new Peterson's in their 'Kapet' line, check out Savinelli's...I'm not into them, but some of their models seem to pop up new at your price point. My opinion, though? Go to ebay and check out estate pipes...i.e. pre-used pipes. You can get some relative bargains thataway. The fellas here can expand on this, no doubt.

3. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Welcome clown, I just recently went through what you are experiencing now as I have only been smoking under a year and I can tell you after trying a MM cob, grawbow, and Savinelli (which I recently got) the Savinelli can not be beat at the price I got mine at. I picked up the Savinelli University starter pack for $40 which is a great price to me. it includes the pipe, balsa filters, and a pipe tool all in all its a great pipe for the money. However with that being said if you have JUST started smoking I would hang out with the cobs for a little bit until you get the hang of things I had a Dr. Grabow for awhile that I ruined learning everything, you will learn how things work and get the hang of it and then you will see the true beauty in a great smoking pipe. This is all my personal opinion of course and there will be plenty of nice men on here to help you out.

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=NA&item=sav01kit

Happy smokes!

By the way you need to pick up some Orlik Golden Slice to try i know its off topic but great stuff. Its a classic, the only regret I have is it took me so long to stumble across it.

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Here's another endorsement of Peterson Kapets. I have one that smokes wonderfully. Just be careful and check details before ordering as Peterson has the famous P-lip which is something you may or may not want. Another thought is that you grab a couple of Dr. Grabows from the WV Smoke Shop which you could do for under $50 easily. I have three I smoke without the filters and I find the smaller bowls ideal. I think Grabows make a great starter briar and for that price, if something happens to it, you're not out a lot of money.

5. tigercasual

tigercasual Member

Graduating from corncob to briar is a wonderful thing! Not that there's anything wrong with the cob. In fact, I keep several around, at all times, that I use when trying new tobaccos. (I clean my cobs (with Everclear) after every smoke to prevent ghosting.)

I'll second Savinelli. Anything from this line, in particular, is a great score for the price.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=71702

One of the things I like about that pipe- for a newbie- is the dark rustication, which makes it really hard for you to damage the finish. And, of course, they smoke fantastic.

For about ten dollars more you can get into a Parker, which is another good deal.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/parkeroflondon.html

On mistake to be careful of, when new to pipe smoking, is scorching the rim of your tobacco chamber. Use your corncobs to perfect your technique before moving on to briar pipes- and do not use torch lighters. Not only can they easily damage your pipe, they scorch the tobacco.

Some of the more inexpensive briar pipes come with stain inside the chamber. I always make sure to use sandpaper and clean it out. Otherwise, you will get a horrible taste.

Estate pipes can be a good option, but you have to be careful, many of them have been abused and many need work before they can be enjoyed- use a little precaution when looking to purchase them.

So, here are the sites that I frequent when purchasing pipes and tobacco:

smokingpipes.com
    pipesandcigars.com
    iwanries.com (you may also want to check out the Iwan Ries Exclusives for good deals on pipes)
    cupojoes.com

You can browse through any of those sites and find good deals.

Cheers,
    TC

6. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

I have quite a few $50 pipes, all of them are pretty good, Savinelli Venezia Canadian, Nording Traditional billiard, Parker billiard, and an estate Peterson System, estate Brebbia, and estate Stanwell dublin. Petersons has lower end models that are in $50 range, so those should be good also. Both Stanwell and Brebbia I think are a little better then the other pipe brands in their range and start at about $80 new but you can find estate pipes made by them in the $50 range.
    I use those 4 sites also, they have the great selection in that range.

7. smcclown

smcclown New Member

Thanks for all the replies! Lots of good info for me to start with. The corncobs I ordered shipped today so hopefully I'll be enjoying my first pipe smoke this weekend. I dug through my Zippos and found the one pipe lighter I knew I had somewhere. Got it cleaned up and filled and ready to go. Several of the Savinelli pipes caught my eye. I'll probably start with one of them after I get some practice with the cobs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.