Recommend a good, mild, English?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by 5H4N3, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Over the last 25 years I have tried and enjoyed, MANY different blends.
    I have at least 30 blends, "in stock". Most of them aromatics, but also several OTC "codger" blends, straight Virginias, burleys, cavendish, etc.
    I have never ventured into the "English style" tobaccos though, and I have an itch to try something new.
    I need to stop by the B&M this afternoon, and thought I'd pick something up.

Suggestions?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Define "English". Are you looking for something with latakia?

3. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Yes, perhaps I should have said Balkan? Not sure about the terminology. I am talking about a non aro, lat blend, but a mild one. NO LAT BOMBS.

4. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

5H4N3 likes this.
  5. dmkerr

Neither is anyone else. :ohyh: That's the problem with "English/Scottish/Balkan" - nobody really knows what those terms mean.

One of my mild latakia reference blends is C&D's Epiphany. It's a take on an old OTC blend also, so that fits in with your scheme.

GL Pease Picadilly is another. This is latakia and virginia, light on the former. Very refreshing. A bit of perique for the finish, but no orientals.

GL Pease Kensington is a step up from Picadilly and adds orientals while removing the perique. A little more robust than the other two but style mild.

Brit abroad, jpberg and 5H4N3 like this.
  6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Frog Morton was my 1st and that is what I recommend. Let us know what you get and how you liked it.

Kiowapipe, Sasquatch and 5H4N3 like this.
  7. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Which of the frogs?

8. Morse

Morse Active Member

I tried the plain Frog Morton and I think it's a good intro. Kerr is definitely the guy for recommendations though.

9. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Looks like I may have to order something on-line.
    I'm browsing my local B&Ms website, and have yet to find ANY of these recommendations in stock. :-(

10. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

Smokingpipes.com has epiphany available in bulk for under 30$ a pound last time i ordered some from them.

5H4N3 likes this.
  11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have and like all 4, but the 1st I tried (and recommend) is the plain FM.
    All are very good though.

Pinehurstpiper and 5H4N3 like this.
  12. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

Any Peter Strokkebye blend with "English" or "Balkan" in its name, from light to medium: English Luxury, English Oriental Supreme, Proper English, and Balkan Supreme. Your B&M may have these in bulk under another name (some stores relabel them as house blends). If you can't find those, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, 965, or London Mixture, Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader, or Balkan Sasieni.

dmkerr, 5H4N3 and ruffinogold like this.
  13. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Kramer's Tobacco (kramerstobacco.com)
    Fr Dempseys Blend
    Danny Kaye Blend

5H4N3 likes this.
  14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Maybe go to a site that sells 1 oz samples and nab a few . To be honest , if you are wanting to go with a mild " English " like you say and I'm guessing you havent had Latakia yet ? I'd say MacBaren Solent , only cause it's the mildest of that style I've had while still being an " English " and not an "American style English" ... say , like Middletons Walnut. It would be a good introduction to the flavor of Latakia . Not that Walnut would be horrible , but I think the latakia in Walnut is so subdued that you wouldnt be sure where the Latakia was . I'll check to see if I have any Solent left . I've beem on a SG Skiff kick , as far as the English stuff , and really .... compared to the English blends out there , Skiff is a mild/med blend and wouldnt be a bad start either .. I'm thinking the solent is perfect though

Morse and 5H4N3 like this.
  15. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Squadron Leader.

jgWatson, 5H4N3 and Mington like this.
  16. JohnTErskine

JohnTErskine Member

Do you have a site to recommend where I could go about ordering small samples?

ruffinogold likes this.
  17. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

My B&M has the Dunhill London Mixture (thanks jrobert) and the SG Skiff (thanks Ruff) in stock.
    Think I'll stop and pick up one or both of them this afternoon.

JRobert and Sasquatch like this.
  18. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

I enjoy McCelland's AMP and Dunhill EMP They have a hint of Latakia with out the campfire smell of the Frog Morton, Balkan Supreme. I smoke in the house so I try and keep my wife happy. :confused:

5H4N3 likes this.
  19. dmkerr

Thanks for the reminder - I have to pick up some English Oriental Supreme with my next TAD order. Been meaning to try it, I just keep forgetting. I liked the Balkan Supreme pretty well, and I agree it's a good rec for balkan newbies.

20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Great idea. These will give you an idea of what's what in the medium English sort of world. There's blends with more latakia, blends with more oriental spice, and blends that are sweeter. These are good middle-ground, solid classics.

5H4N3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.