Recommend a good, mild, English?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by 5H4N3, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'll cjheck my bookmarks in a bit .. I think 3 noggins has samples ... I know wvsmokeshop has a bunch but I dont think they have English . Dogs freakin out ... I'll post for ya in a few mins

2. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

smokingpipes.com sells one-ounce quantities of Peter Stokkebye English Luxury, English Oriental Supreme, and Proper English, as well as Epiphany and many other bulk tobaccos.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

4. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

C&D sells trial packs. It isn't listed on their web site, but it is in the downloadable catalog. Quoting from the catalog:
    Trial Packs
    We offer trial packs (5 blends, 2 oz. Each, you pick 'em) for $33.50 or 8 blends for $43.13,
    plus shipping and handling. Outside U.S. Postage is actual cost plus $2. C&D tins, G.L.
    Pease, Two Friends and Capt. Earle Blends may be included but samples will be 1 oz.
    Rather than 2 oz.

Eric Pierson likes this.
  5. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

***UPDATE
    Bought the Dunhill London Mixture.
    I don't love it, but I don't hate it.
    I like it OK, but only a small bowl at a time for now. Being new to Lat, it gets a little overwhelming after about a half hour.
    I doubt that I'll ever convert totally into a "Lat head", but I enjoy trying different things, and it's nice to have something a little different on the shelf to choose from.

On a side note, the flavor of Lat I found a little familiar.
    I didn't think I had ever really tried it before, but after tasting the Dunhill, I realized that one of the other blends on my shelf, also contains Lat.
    I got some Pine Grove in a group buy before Christmas. I did not realize, that the unique flavor in that blend is Lat, but now I know.
    Like the London Mixture, I enjoy the Pine Grove on occasion, but in smaller doses.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm not sure about the Orlik version but the Murrays version of London Mixture aged like a mofo. If it's not doing it for you, try aging it for a few years.

7. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

To me, and its perhaps just me--when I hear English I think of Latakia. For the miler side I like Dunhill Early Morning pipe, most of the Forg Mortons, and Peter Stokkebyes English offerings. NOW---I also suggest the Frog Mortons cellar, and Boswells Northwoods. These two on my palate exhibit notes of spicey, yet sweet undertones that are more defined than in other Latakia blends. This thread has me walking down memory lane. Years ago I remember my first attempt at he tobacco called Latakia. I was told that it was a tobacco that was "English". What I later learned was that the tobacco was 100% pure blending Latakia. It turned me off of Latakia tobaccos for a very long time. The worst part was the fact I did not know any better. I ALWAYS recommend to folks just getting into certain types of the so called "English" stuff----GO SLOW. Start with milder tobacco blends, and if you find that perhaps the blend is just too strong with Latakia, or perhaps just plain straight outright over powering-------STOP!!. Do not force yourself to like it. Start off mild, and if you like those "English" blends work your way up the ladder into stronger Latakia blends. I know MANY folks who simply hate, and cannot stand ANY Latakia blends. For instance my little pipe smoking buddy that I share many great smokes with has asked this exact question about trying a mild "English". He has tried my Dunhill blends, and even the Frog Mortons. He attempted some Boswells Northwoods, and some McClellands stuff--------HE HATED IT ALL. I even tried aging some, and allowing the moisture to get down some. For me it made it milder, but for him----YES---he still did not like it. I always tell folks to try small samplers from various tobacco retailers. Lets face it certain tobacco tastes may not always grow on ones palate. Sometimes tastes change, and one grows into certain blends. The reason I am sharing such a long post about searching for that "Mild English" is to prevent others from doing what I did, and thats starting off with stuff that left me saying---NEVER AGAIN----NO ENGLISH. Years later I now love Latakia when I learned to experiment with tobaccos that were not so over powering with Latakia that it ruined the experience. I always say Latakia is like cooking with certain spices----"a little goes a long way". Good luck in your English tobacco adventure. Most of all---enjoy smoking your pipe.:sh::th1:

8. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe
    Villiger Early Day
    The Golden Leaf Shipwreck (only do phone orders, though)
    TGL 6 O'Clock News
    Boswell's Northwoods (also phone order)
    Sam Gawith Commonwealth (surprisingly mild for 50% lat)
    House of Calabash For Meerschaums Only (especially the reserve, ditto phone orders)

9. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Altadis AM Pipe and Frog Morton on the Town are easy favourites for mild and balanced Englishes, as well as Shortcut to Mushrooms, though it is quite sweet. On the tastier/more complex side is Frog Morton's Cellar and Boswell Northwoods. A no-nonsense latakia/virginia/burley I've come to love is Newminster English Luxus, although the grassy virginias are as prominent as the latakia. Nothing complicated, exotic, artificial or in your face, just a solid, robust tobacco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.