1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend a tobacco?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Andy, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy New Member

May 11, 2011
    Hi all

The above has probably been asked a hundred times on these forums, and while I realise there is no correct answer (as everyone has different tastes), here's my story...

I've just tried pipe smoking for the first time today - I've always loved the smell of pipe smoke when someone walks past with one, so always fancied giving it a try. I bought myself a Parker briar (okay, a bit foolish not going for a cheap corn cob in case I didn't like it), and after reading up on recommendations for beginners (on another site) I settled on "Erinmore Mixture" and also some "St Bruno" for good measure, assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the latter OTC tobacco is what most here in the UK smoke, and is probably what I can smell when I walk past a pipe smoker!

I have to say I was a very disappointed when it came to smoking them. Neither of them resembled anything like the pipe smoke smell that I love, and for me the experience (both taste and smell) was more like a cigarette (I've never actually smoked before, other than having a drag on cigarettes as you do as a kid, which is what the pipe smoking reminded me of).

So why was I disappointed? Was it the wrong tobacco? Should I have gone for an aromatic (I assumed Erinmore was, but may be wrong)? Any suggestions as to what I should try next, as I don't want to give up just yet...?

Thanks in advance
  2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    Pipe smoke smell, and pipe smoke taste, are two different birds. If you are primarily looking for smell, you are likely wanting an aromatic. Specifically American styled aros. They don't taste much like tobacco, but they smell quite pleasant. I'm really not sure what is available in your neck if the woods to recommend. Online, I'd suggest checking Boswell's out.
  3. Marc

Marc Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Falconeer (Gerry), where are you? Maybe he will be better able to steer you in the right direction on availability of aromatic tobaccos or a good starting tobacco in the UK for you try first before ordering from across the pond.
  4. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Agree with above. Smell in the pouch is usually not the taste you get. Difficult to tell the room note of a tobacco while you are smoking it. Sometimes you just have to go out of the room, or even outside to clear the nasal passages, and come back in to tell what others are smelling. You are apparently in the UK, so agree Gerry is a good resource.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    It's difficult to recommend a blend of tobacco to someone unless their tastes are known. For example, if I knew you liked burley I could suggest a few blends there were predominately burley. In general, I have found it to be a lesson in frustration to accept recommendations or make suggestions as far as selection of blends is concerned. I dislike many popular blends and I enjoy some mixtures that were not recommended by experienced smokers. If I were to give advice it would be to experiment and sample as much as you can in order to find that perfect (for you) blend. The other bit of advice is that you generally get what you pay for. Many of the cheap blends have inferior leaf.

Next time you smell a pipe aroma that you like, don't be afraid to ask the smoker what mixture he is smoking. I have found that pipe smokers are friendly and they are happy to share any information. Chances are, he will even offer you a sample out of his pouch if you have your pipe handy.
    yinyang likes this.
  6. slprl1

slprl1 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Sounds like you may want to go to the aromatics which are artificially flavored. The most popular one here is Lane 1-Q. Otherwise, go to the online stores and you will find a bunch of different ones. If you can get Mac Barens over there, try Plumcake or their Vanilla flavored tobacco. Good luck!
  7. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

May 4, 2011
    The only tobacco that I've have had and is one of my favs and smoke regulary that taste almost as it smells is Hearth and Home (pipesandcigars) Classic Burley Kake.
  8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    See Arkie's post above. I mirror those sentiments.
  9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I agree that everyone has different tastes in tobacco, but being a new pipe smoker, it doesn't hurt to try a variety of blends that a large percentage think are good to get a feel for what you like. I've smoked pipes for a little over two years and remember being bewildered by the variety of tobaccos. Finding PSF a year ago helped steer me in the right direction on a lot of blends. TobaccoReview.Com helps as well. Here's a few I recommend trying to see if you like them:

Lane 1Q is supposedly the #1 seller in America
    Villager 1888 Mid-Day
    Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew

Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster
    Orlik Golden Slice

4noggins Bald Headed Teacher
    McClelland Frog Morton
    Just For Him Shortcut to Mushrooms

Solani Aged Burley Flake
    Carter Hall

These are smooth, easy to smoke, good tasting tobaccos that should help you start to determine what you might or might not like. Keep in mind too that tastes change with time and something you don't like now may be good in 6 months. I read that from several PSFers and didn't relate until I went back & tried some tobaccos I didn't care for the first month I took up the pipe & liked them the second time around! Sillem's Black was one of those.

Happy smoking,
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    IRC Buttered Rum
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.