Recommend me a VaPer

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Degenetron, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Topic says it all really. Got my first tin of Escudo a while back.. took some getting used to, but i fear there is no turning back now.

Grabbing a few more tins of it on my next order, but which others should i keep an eye out for?

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Thanks to DMKerr, I'm now enjoying GL Pease Telegraph Hill. I have never smoked any VaPers regularly, so I'll let the more experienced guys chime in with the rest.

3. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

I was just about to place an order this morning for some Peter Stokkebye Bulls Eye Flake but they are out of stock. I've been looking forward to trying them for a while as I sometimes smoke the Orlik Bulls Eye as a change of pace to my usual latakia forward blends and have heard nothing but good about the PS LBF. Orliks are good though, both have a CA plug in the centre of the discs. I'm sure you'll get some good tips though, I'll keep an eye on the thread as its something I've been considering too of late.

4. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Yeah, i went to see if they had the PS LBF too as it was the only other vaper i could remember. Of course.. it couldn't be that easy ;)

I'll throw in a tin of Telegraph hill, but still taking suggestions ;)

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Maybe the lazy bastard who's supposed to be sending you samples will throw in some LBF, Escudo and Telegraph Hill.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Besides Telegraph Hill, my favorites are McClellands St James Woods and Bulk #2015, Escudo, C&D's Bayou Morning, and Davidoff's Flake Medallions (hard to recommend because of the price).

I was just noticing that I don't smoke all that many true VaPers. My favorite blend of all time is Reiners Long Golden Flake but it has some burley in it.

7. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

lol. That wont be necessary. Both escudo and telegraph hill are on their way, and i found PS LBF in stock at Just for him :)

Also, if memory serves me, someone was supposed to send you something too, but found procrastination to be a foul temptress.

8. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Thanks for the tips. Grabbed a tin of most of those, including the Reiner. Don't really care too much if it's not a true vaper.. just something in that taste range ;)

As i mentioned earlier, I found the Stokkebye bullseye flake in stock at Just for him.

9. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

Thanks for the tip about the LBF. I've heard a lot of good about the Reiner Gold Flake, Maybe I'll get a mate to send some over from Germany.

10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake is a Va/Per (but mild on the Per). It is heartily enjoyed and recommended by many here on PSF (including yours truly). Mild/medium in strenght, wonderful mellow smoking quality (kind of a mildly spicey hay-like flavor), great price, and it comes in bulk in case you want to keep a jar-full around the house or cellar it. It's very well-behaved, and not really all that complex or nuanced - just a straight-forward and enjoyable smoke that has the same wonderful flavor from start to finish.

11. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Some of my favorites (besides Escudo) are McConnell Scottish Cake, GL Pease Fillmore, Hearth and Home AJ's Vaper and G&H's Louisiana Flake.

12. Redone

Redone Member

I like it but have found it to have quite a bit of bite. McB Navy has no bite and better flavor IMO.

13. RTOdhner

I found that the secret to LNF is to really sip it. Puff on it like a cigar, like a puff every 30 seconds or so. Smoked thusly, it's always been gentle to my tongue. I went home over lunch and found my much anticipated tin of MacB Navy Flake in the mail. I left one flake out to dry, and I plan on smoking it right when I get home from work. I smoked another flake on my way back to work, right out of the tin and with no drying, and it was great! I'm not going to render a final verdict on it yet, but I'm guessing it's going to be damn near the top on my list of favorite tobies.

14. jeff394

jeff394 Member

+1 on the LBF/LNF.

15. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Why not blend your own? ...one tin Blending Perique, and a (small) pinch of McC 5100. Voila! Vaper! (Let me know how it goes).

Rewster66 likes this.
  16. RTOdhner

A tin of Perique and a pinch of Virginny? Is this for smoking enjoyment, or as a way to set a controlled fire to burn off a forrest of over-grown nose hairs?

Rewster66 likes this.
  17. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I was hoping to find out by living vicariously through others. :)

Rewster66 likes this.
  18. RTOdhner

Lets see if there is some dumb SOB out there that actually tries it. Heh heh heh :rolleyes:

19. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Dunhil Deluxe Navy Rolls are also quite good.

20. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I fell off into VaPers this year something fierce. It was the one that was the most 'meh' when I started and now it has me gut hooked.

McClelland 2015 is a good all the time choice. I absolutely love their St. James Woods. Hard to beat McClelland virginias and adding a healthy amount of perique just makes it sing, at least to me. It is kinda like Blackwoods Flake+ Perique if you have tried BWF. Those are some great suggestions. Then there is Beacon and Beacon Extra.

Hearth and Home has a bunch that are good but I am really taken with two of them, AJ's and Anni Kake, but they need some aging. Anni Kake especially will make a drastic change in a year. Ol' Strongirish clued me in on that and he is dead right. Even at about 4-6 months you'll see great improvements.

McConnells Scottish Cake is good, I enjoy that one. A little harder to get at times but still can be had fairly easily.

C&D has some really good ones too, Bayou Morning and Kajun Kake are a couple.

G&H's Louisiana Flake is pretty good.

Of course, Escudo is great. There are just so many good ones.

I am going to try GL Pease's Telegraph Hill on my next order. One of these days I'll find some SG St. James Flake too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.