Recommend me some Chocolate

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Buckshot, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I'm gonna be placing a TAD order in the next few days and I've decided that I want to put a couple of chocolate blends on the order. I have never even tried a chocolate blend before but it sounds really good if I could find one that I like.

I want to get two different blends so I can determine which one I like best.

I'm looking for recommendations for blends that have a pleasant, in your face chocolate flavor and I want to be able to taste the tobacco too. I want the chocolate flavor to be more than subtle. Not too concerned about the room note (my wife will put up with anything) so a good room note would be a bonus but not a requirement.

I read the reviews on here regarding Chocolate Flake and English Chocolate. They both sound pretty good but I'm not sure what's all out there that's available for me to try.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

I had a pretty good experience with Mac Baren's Honey and Chocolate. Had a kind of deep cocoa taste to it for me.
    Best of luck on your choco-quest.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well, I have only smoked two tobaccos with a substantial chocolate flavor to them. Mac Baren's Honey and Chocolate is one, and it's okay but it's a full aromatic without much tobacco flavor or strength. I will finish the tin probably, but I may not get it again. I've only smoked it a few times so far, so maybe it will grow on me. My problem is the flavor getting thin and flat after the first third of the bowl. I have that trouble with many aromatics.

The other is McClelland's Holiday Spirit, which again is a full aromatic. It's flavored with chocolate, dark rum, and pecans, and all of those flavors come through marvelously. It's sadly a seasonal blend though, and won't be available for another few months. It's too bad, cause I do like it and I don't care for most aromatics (or most McClelland blends) and I'd really like to get hold of a bit of it.

I've got a tin of English Chocolate, but I haven't opened it yet, so I can't speak to it's quality. It seems well liked, though. Sounds great.

There are plenty of semi-aromatic type blends with a good bit of cocoa going on. You might want to try Altadis Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match, as well as Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut. They're both sold loose and are very affordable. Great burley blends with a cocoa casing - not in your face as in a full on aromatic, but there's definitely noticeable cocoa/chocolate going on.

4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Jump off into some Lakeland stuff and pick up a couple ozs of G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake. I have not tried other chocolate blends but this one is a good one. Just don't expect a huge mouthful of Hershey's chocolate. It is more like smoking a Virginia with a light Lakeland essence in a lightly latakia ghosted pipe while sniffing of a chocolate bar.

5. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Man, I can't wait for that McClelland's Holiday Spirit to hit the shelves. That sounds very good. I will definitely be getting some of that.

I'm torn between the G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake, Mac Baren's Honey and Chocolate, and English Chocolate. Maybe I should get all three.

6. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Glenn,
    Please pardon my ignorance. What exactly is the "Lakeland essence" that you speak of? I read your review and I know it is some kind of floral flavor but where/how is the name "Lakeland" tied to it? Is this a person's name?

7. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

Check your b&m's for Holiday Spirit. Mine still has several tins on the shelf as of this afternoon. John B. Hayes Tobacconist in Fairfax, VA.

Buckshot likes this.
  8. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Excellent idea! Thanks!

9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Do some searches on here. Much has been discussed on the topic. Basically it is from the Lakeland District in England where blenders like Sam Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth reside. They use a style of tobacco casing or toppings that use a lot of floral and herbal type ingredients. It isn't just one topping. There is an array of Lakeland essences. Some describe them as floral, others describe them as soapy and some folks describe them as "What in God's name is this crap in my pipe?"

Check out the G&H lineup. Next time you order some tobacco pick up an ounce or two of Ennerdale flake. Take a sniff before you even open the bag and you will already understand. Fire some up. Lakeland overload. I like them and many other people on these forums like them. Some just can't take them, even the lightly cased blends. But beware, they will ghost a pipe. So get you a cob for them or something until you figure out if you like this style tobacco.

10. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Thank you Glenn.

11. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

Dan Tordenskjold Slices. Golden Va with a chocolate casing. Not even close to aromatic, and quite good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.