Recommend me some tobaccos to try...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Captain Eight, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

These are the tobaccos I already own, and have tried:
    • Mac Baren BURLEY LONDON BLEND
    • Astleys No. 109 VIRGINIA FLAKE
    • Solani 656 AGED BURLEY FLAKE
    • Brebbia Classic English Mixture #70
    • Captain Earle's Ten Russians
    • Wessex Brigade Balkan Supreme
    • Robert Lewis 123 Mixture
    • Cornell & Diehl Mississippi Mud
    • Presbyterian
    • Villiger 1888 Late Night
    • W.O.Larsen Simply Unique
    The only aromatic/flavoured ones (that I know of) are the W.O.Larsen (light/moderate flavoured) and the Late Night (supposedly Irish Whisky, but I can't taste it so it must be very, very light).

I think I prefer natural, earthy, leathery, woody type tastes. However, I would like to try a "proper" aromatic, just so I have it to compare and for variety. I would also like to try one that is heavy with that American Indian stuff (Perique or whatever), for the same reasons (variety/curiosity).

Can you experienced pipe guys please recommend a few you think I'd be interested in along those veins - and also anything you think my collection is missing. I don't mind buying 4-5 more tins. I'd like to have a collection that is wide in variety.

Thanks!

2. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

There are tons of excellent tobaccos available today. By the way, the Solani 656 in topped with chocolate, and the London Blend has molasses/honey on it. One of the very few blenders of pure tobaccos is C&D.

Burley--I like mostly C&D blends. The Burley Flakes mostly #3, but also BigNBurley and #808 Burley Straight. I also like Uhle's 00 and Peretti's BPC, which is lightly cased.

English--Dunhill London Mixture, SG Squadron Leader, and several of the Rattray blends, although they are more Oriental in nature. Mostly Black Mallory and Red Raparree from them.

Va/Per--There are a lot of very good ones. The one I am smoking most now is C&D Bayou Morning Flake.

Cigar Blend--C&D Billy Budd and Peretti's Cuban Mixture.

Straight Va.--The big three from Rattray, ie, HOTW, Old Gowrie, and Marlin Flake. Also SG FVF, Pease Union Square, and C&D Opening Night.

I don't smoke aros, so can't recommend anything in this vein. Hope this gives you some areas to explore, have fun.

3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

For aros I would recommend the following, MacBaron's Vanilla Creme, Stanwells Melange, Middleton's Cherry Blend, Lanes BCA or 1Q.

For a perique hit, the one all others are judged by is Escudo. If you can cellar a tin for a year it becomes sublime.

I recommend your going to tobaccoreviews.com and reading up on blends. There are so many good ones to try. If you want my opinions, I post there often under strongirish.

4. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Thanks lads. I will be sure to read up on those suggestions.

Regarding the aromatics, can you actually taste the flavoring, or does it just taste like "something sweet"? In my small experience, the tobaccos rarely taste anything like what they smell like unlit.

5. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Depends on the blend. MB Vanilla Creme you can taste the flavoring as you can also taste in Lanes BCA. Stanwells Melange tastes a lot like apricots. Good aros will taste like the smell, inferor ones will not.

6. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Agree on the MB Vanilla creme. It's a pretty strong flavor that actually taste like the room note. Occasionally you'll even hit a particularly strong flake that will give you a burst of Vanilla so intense it's like pure shot. I only get about one or two of those per bowl though.

7. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Thanks guys, so I just put in an order. This is what I got:

- MB Vanilla Cream Flake
    - Escudo Navy Deluxe
    - Frog Morton 50g
    - Personal Reserve: Blackwoods Flake
    - Grand Orientals: Classic Samsun
    - Gawith Hogarth Top Black Cherry
    + a new Savinelli Rusticated Churchwarden (404) pipe (this one)

Hopefully that will keep me amused so I don't keep bleeding money (I'm a cigar smoker and a flyfisherman too ... can you imagine? :eek:)

Let me know what to expect ... and please no, "you should have got blah blah blah" cause then I'll think I have to go and buy it.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

"you should have got blah blah blah" .... SWR Aromatic . :byg:

9. maddis

maddis Sales Account

McCranies Red Ribbon (or flake) has become my go to tobacco. Completely turned me around on Virginias. Super smooth, super flavorful, and well-burning.

10. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Haha, hold you over... Bahaha.

I thought the same a few years back. I have tins I bought and haven't opened in over a year. I had order more because if I like it with a year of age, it won't taste the same with anything less. Good logic, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.